Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

can a wisdom tooth cause one side throat pain,

My glands on the right side of my neck swelled up for a week, then I got a pain on the right side of my throat, then the pain in my throat got worst, but only on the right side. I took antibiotics for a week, felt better, but pain was still mild in throat. 4 months have passed, throat still hurts in same spot and mild swelling. I can feel both when swallowing. I have a impacted wisdom tooth on that side. Some times I get a radiating pain their. Could all of this be from that tooth? The tooth is not through from what I can see, and I don't really see any swelling around tooth, bit it feels different. My exray shows the tooth growing straight forward into the molar in front of it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--this wouldn't be typical of a problem with a wisdom tooth. If you've had your throat examined and there's no evidence of infection now, this may be from a gastric reflux problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I went to the doctors a month ago and she saw no problems and didnt feel anything on my neck. I saw an oral surgeon and he said it is the cause and that under my tooth between the jaw bone and tooth could be infected. Last night I flossed in that area and today have bad pain from tooth and a strange taste from their. If you still don't think this is a tooth problem and a gastoric thing, is their anything I can try to see if it gets better? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
So you weren't placed on antibiotics?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was on ntibiotics when it first started, and it did feel better. The glands in my throat went down after two days. My throat started to feel better. The pain was almost gone and the lump or swelling feeling on the right side felt a lot better, but not gone. As soon as I was done antibiotics, it was right back. The oral surgeon said it was a chronic infection because it was under the tooth and has no way to get out. I appreciate your advice. I was thinking I had throat cancer. I don't want to get my wisdom teeth pulled if this is something else.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
This doesn't sound at all like cancer. The oral surgeon should be able to tell if you do have a chronic tooth infection, but I don't think your symptoms are consistent with that. Try Pepcid AC or Zantac daily for a week. If that clears your symptoms, then we're dealing with gastric reflux.