Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

My roommate has a harsh, persistent cough that has lasted about

My roommate has a harsh, persistent cough that has lasted about 2 weeks. (Her father had harsh cough the week before she visited her parents; her visit was 2 wks ago.) Some clear phlegm produced, but not any other cold/illness symtoms. She says surprisingly it hasn't interfered with sleep, but she does have such harsh coughing jags that at times she feels like her "skull will split." It doesn't seem to be getting better. Is a visit to the MD in order?
If she is having fevers, chills, shortness of breath, change in color of the sputum, wheezing, etc, then she should see her doctor. If it is a dry nagging cough she should give it some time to resolve on its own. In the meantime using cough drops/syrup may help.

If you have any additional questions, please ask. If no further questions, please click accept.