Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

i HAVE a low hemoglobin, hematocrit, MCV, MCH, and MCHC but

i HAVE a low hemoglobin, hematocrit, MCV, MCH, and MCHC but high RDW, EOS and EOS (absolute) on my CBC. What does this mean
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
I would like to help, but need some additional information.

Do you have any values for these lab results?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes

Hemoglobin 9.6

Hematocrit 31.6

MCV 75

MCH 22.9

MCHC 30.4

RDW 16.7

EOS 8

EOS (absolute) 0.5

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response.

With the above information, you have anemia, more specifically microcytic anemia. The most common cause of this is deficiency of iron. Therefore an iron panel blood work is recommended this includes Iron, TIBC, % sat, ferritin. If it is found that you are deficient in iron, iron supplements will be recommended. Other causes of this include, lead poisoning, due to chronic disease, but these are a lot less likely.

If you have any additional questions please ask. If no further questions please click accept.
Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could it mean anything more serious (leukemia, cancer, etc)
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
The chances of that though present are a lot less likely. Iron deficiency anemia is very common especially in women of reproductive age secondary to the menstrual cycles and losing blood. Therefore having the iron panel is recommended. If that turns out normal, then a further work up for it would be warranted into other causes.

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Now there's a chance I have a polyp in the uterus, would this cause me to bleed a little bit more which would cause the anemia. Also if I am anemic, would that cause my muscles to cramp up.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
No a single polyp wouldn't cause too much bleeding in addition to your normal cycle.
Yes anemia can cause muscle cramping.

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could these blood tests be a sign of anything at all more serious or is it that i'm just likely low on iron.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
It is most likely due to low iron levels. That is what they are indicating at this time.

Regards