Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

Ive had real problems sleeping and my Doctor put me on three

I've had real problems sleeping and my Doctor put me on three different medicines a couple of months ago. I now take 30mg of Temazepam, .5mg of Alprolozam, and 100mg of Vistaril each night at bedtime for sleep. This has been working well until a few days ago. I've started having trouble sleeping again. Last night I couldn't go to sleep at all; could these meds have stopped working?? or have I developed a tolerance to them?? I am generally pretty healthy.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
Upon review of your medications, only of those three is specifically for sleep at that is the Temazepam, the rest are for anxiety (which can help with sleep but not specific to it). Further Temazepam is meant for short term treatment of sleeping problems, not a maintenance drug, therefore this is not the ideal medication for you. I recommend that you see your doctor to have your medication changed to something else such as Lunesta or Ambien.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask. If no further questions, please click accept.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have a problem with anxiety just difficulty sleeping (which is frustrating and I suppose can cause anxiety) why wouldn't I be on one of the meds you mentioned? and what is the vistaril for?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure why your doctor didn't put you on those medications I mentioned, that is something you will have to discuss with your doctor. Vistaril is commonly used to treat anxiety and/or itching.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can ambien and lunesta be taken for long durations without problems?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
Yes they are used for long term maintenance of sleep disorders, usually most people have no problems with these medications. There are certainly side effects from them as with any medication, but most people do well.