Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

I have terrible pain in my ear and down my neck when flying

I have terrible pain in my ear and down my neck when flying and when I go anywhere hilly (above 1000m ish). When I land the pain goes away. I am also losing my hearing in this ear. Everything sounds "tinny" in that ear. I have had a gromet which didn't help and also have been taking a nasal spray which did help a little. if I hold my nose and blow there is a crackling noise and then a sound of rushing air which I don't get in the other ear. Also when up in a plane as we climb to height I get a hammering -noise in ear - like valves fluttering.

One thing I thought to mention is that I have a wonky nose. Someone did say it could be a deviated septum - However I don't want to throw you off course with this.

I feel like my ear canal and eustacian tube has collapsed or the sides are sticking together (hope that doesn't sound silly)

My question is - is there any procedure which can help this. I fly alot with my work and it makes any flying an absolute misery. Also I cannot enjoy any hill walking or go out on a cold day.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Pauline :

It sounds like you have excessive congestion within the eustacian tube/middle ear. The first thing would be several days of an oral decongestant such as pseudoephedrine together with steam inhalation twice a day for the same time.

Pauline :

When was the last time you had that ear examined?

Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.
Pauline :

Pauline :

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The last time I had this examined was over 10 years ago. I had some tests which showed that my ear drum didn't resonate as it should (does that make sense?). I have had this problem since I was 21. I am now 43. I just wondered if latest developments could help.

One thing I wondered about was fungal infections. I am plagued with Candida. Years ago I worked in a lab growing fungus and I was always ill when I worked there (had glandular fever type symptoms). I also was put on antibiotics for two years for a bladder problem (which turned out to be caused by a degenerative spinal disc). I ask because about the fungus because a couple of years ago I did a sugar free diet for 8 months and my ear did improve. It didn't cure it completelt though and I still ahve lots of pain when flying, on a cold day or going anywhere hilly. Have you any knowledge regarding fungus infections in nose and ears?

Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

It is possible to have a fungal infection within the ear canal. Usually this can be seen by the examining doctor and swabs taken for confirmation purpose.

Once confirmed then there is an antifungal ear solution that can be used.