Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

I have a problem with a tendon or muscle (or joint?) in my

I have a problem with a tendon or muscle (or joint?) in my thumb. Currently its in my right hand, sometimes in my left, and sometimes both. Nothing I can think of triggers the pain and weakness. While it does go away from time to time, when it flares up, it hurts to hold a glass or pick up a pair of boots with one hand. It is particularly painful to push down on the thumb with the hand in a "C" shape. I have some mild tendon constrictures in my pinkys I don't think are related but worth mentioning. Any suggestions as to what is being affected and its cause?
Welcome to and thanks for your question.
Is pain located at base of thumbs?
Associated swelling,redness on affected area?
Wrist pain?
Numbness and tingling sensation on affected area?
Any other medical history?
Are you taking any medications?
Since how long have you been suffering from?
Neck stiffness?
Pain in arms?
Have you seen a doctor so far?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Between wrist and before first thumb knuckle, so yes - at base of thumbs. At its worst there is some swelling, not really any redness to speak of. Mild wrist pain/weakness. No numbness or tingling. Bloodwork is always good. I am always stretching my neck to keep it from getting stiff and giving headaches. Lots of weird back pain but I can excercise everyday. Have had GERD surgergery. Taking Celexa - prolaspsed L5/S1 limiting things I like to do, life changing. I have not seen a doc about the thumb(s) issue. I guess it may coincide with Celexa over last 6 mo - haven't thought about that...
Thanks for providing more information.
Well as you describe you need to be seen by your Orthopedist for a clinical examination and undergo X-ray,CBC,ESR,ANA,CRP to rule out underlying possible cause which may include Rheumatoid arthritis,Carpal tunnel syndrome.
You should amke an appointment with your doctor.
Also try wrist splint.
Apply warm compresses with soaking in warm water.
I hope this helps.