Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

lesion in mouth

Customer Question

I'm a 37 year old female. I don't drink or smoke.
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 4 years ago.
Can you give some details of the lesions ?Since when are the lesions there/are they painful/recurrent/any other diseases like Diabetes,autoimmune diseases like Lupus/Crohns or other inflammatory bowel disease/any history of a drug reaction or food allergy?Please give me more information.Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it is on the left side of my tongue! It is not painful. I am worried about oral cancer. I think I am a HPV carrier. I am not sure. I had an abnormal pap smear in 1997, but not sure if it was due to HPV. I was treated with cryosurgery where they freezed my cervix. I noticed the lump after I bit my tongue because I was examining the rest of my mouth.
The common causes of oral lesions on the tongue would include aphthous stomatitis,Herpes simplex ulcers,secondary to Human papilloma virus and traumatic after a tongue bite.I suggest you get this checked by your doctor/PCP or Dental Surgeon as it is likely that the painless lump is secondary to the tongue bite but other causes may also cause a problem.A examination of the mouth and the surrounding lymph nodes ,lab tests as required will help reach a diagnosis.Most lesions normally recover within 2 weeks.Persistent lesions lasting more than 2 weeks may need a non-invasive brush biopsy/biopsy or examination with a screening device like a Velscope/Vizilite plus to rule out any maligXXXXX XXXXXke squamous cell carcinoma.Malignant changes will have other changes like difficulty in swallowing,tongue problems and swelling of lymph nodes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not able to see an oral surgeon. I have an appointment with an ENT (head and nt eck surgeon) next week. Should I request to have it biopsied right away. I am very worried about this.

A brush biopsy can be done easily without any cutting.A excision biopsy can be planned if the lesion is suspected to be malignant,especially if it has been present for over a fortnight.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it been present for more than 2 weeks...Probably longer. Had I not bit my tongue I would not have did an oral check. Thank you for your help and time.
Please press accept to release my dues.Thank you.