Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

appro. two years ago I had a blood clot in the right calf of

appro. two years ago I had a blood clot in the right calf of my leg. They put me on cumadin{sp} for about a month, and then on warfrin for about two months. The clot appeared to have gone away so the treatment stopped. About a year before that I had a clot in my right calf which I had to undergo some self-administered abdominal shots. Recently, I have been having severe cramping in my right calf and the tendon that runs along the top of my foot to my big toe has been very painful when I try extend that foot and toe. I am a 57 year old male who smokes. Both doctors I saw told me the clotting was due to poor circulation because I smoke but they couldn't specifically identify the problem.A handful of tests were done.none of which I know anything about, but they all came back negative and nothing more was ever done. Is there something you can suggest to me to have them look when I go in the next time?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

have you had an angiogram?

Customer:

no

Dr Brims :

What about facter V Leiden deficiency tests?

Customer:

what tests I did have all stemmed from giving a blood sample. I can't tell you what those tests were

Dr Brims :

Okay, but you have not had tests to assess your circulation?

Customer:

None other than blood pressure tests

Dr Brims :

Okay, you need to have your arteries evalauted, the first test is an ABI, which is easy, then a CT angiogram or MR angiogram to determine how patent they are

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

I have had a problem with my face being bright red all the time and my eyes stay blood-shot for a long time after I shower does this have anything to do with it

Dr Brims :

It may be a sign of a clotting disorder, but it is not possible to be sure without more tests

Customer:

I will take your advice with me when I go in. Thank you.

Dr Brims :

You're welcome,

If you have other questions at another time you may request me by starting your question with "for Dr Brims", or return to this question

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this topic

If not, please click the green ACCEPT button to end this chat session

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience