Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

I have had RSD since 1991 and have been doing well until a

I have had RSD since 1991 and have been doing well until a few months ago. My feet and ankles are swollen and have areas that are numb, my feet and ankles feel like they have 'cement' boots on. Is this from RSD progression or side effects of narcotics that I have been on for several years?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.

How long are you having the symptoms?

Is the whole feet , ankle & leg swollen or there are swelling of the joints only?

When have you consulted doctor last?

Do you take any medicine?

Did you have any test?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had these symptoms about 6 weeks. The top of my feet and area around ankle bones are swollen. I have an appt. with a new internist in 2 weeks. I am in a pain clinic and have been taking MS Contin, Demerol, Ativan, Baclofen, Zonegran.I just started the Baclofen. I had blood tests and have an elevated alk. phos. I will have more blood tests to narrow it down to why it is elevated. I hope these answers help.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

RSD can cause swelling of the joints & pain.

But the swelling of the feet, ankles can be due to collection of fluid.

There can be a few other conditions which may lead to the swelling.

These causes can be diseases of the heart, kidney, liver, low blood protein etc.

Other local factors like clot in the vein needs to be excluded too.

You should get an urgent examination by doctor.

A few tests can be necessary to find out the precise cause.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have also been having a warm sensation at the top of my left calf, just below the knee, this started yesterday. The dr. appt. is Jan. 12, should I make an appt. to see the dr. sooner? By 'a few tests' what do you mean?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
When there is warm sensation at the top of calf, I would advise to get an examination at ER or urgent care.

You need to rule out DVT or clot there.

You can need duplex ultrasound, d-dimer tests for it.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience