Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

My family moved into our Soho style art gallery in the beginning

My family moved into our Soho style art gallery in the beginning of August, 2011. We left the walls unpainted, just drywall. My husband has come down with a bad case of dermatitis recently. Is there a danger working where there is exposed drywall? The white powder always comes off on our clothes and the dust is constant. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have just recently, (about a month ago), had a flare up after 12 years
of very little problems with it. Do you think there could be any connection of these problems and the drywall dust? I don't want to put my family in any health danger.
Also, my son and daughter in law are trying to get pregnant.
Any help would be appreciated.

Drywall has been associated with allergic contact dermatitis. It is also related to a mild degree of female infertility due to the talc present in the gypsum powder.

It is not however associated with Rheumatoid arthritis. But since rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune condition, stress due to change in environment can cause a flare up.

It would be better to get the walls painted.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.