Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience:  LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat

My 14 yr old daughter has had an avulsion fracture of the big

Customer Question

My 14 yr old daughter has had an avulsion fracture of the big toe since Sept 10, 2011. She was in a boot for two months, then did an MRI, it showed fluid in area of fracture. Doc said the bone that got pulled away was too small to operate to pin together and was not concerned about that, but it was the soft tissure that was not healing and causing the pain. We then tried PT for two weeks even though she still had pain, but no progress. There was still noticeable swelling. She was put in a cast for two weeks, finally saw swelling come down and less pain. She's now in a cast for two more weeks. Hoping for more progress. My question there some vitamin, supplement, protein shake, procedure, anything to promote soft tissue to heal? She's been a competitive figure skater and overall athletic, but this has been her longest recovery from an injury she's ever had. She has grown alot in the past few years and eats moderately well. I believe in vitamins and supplements, so if I could get some advice in that area, I would truly appreciate it!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
her continued symptoms are likely due to associated soft tissue injury. This can be due to injury to ligaments and tendons supporting the small bones in the big toe. These soft tissues can longer to heal than the bones. I would recommend taking a vitamin B complex capsule daily. The mainstay of treatment would be immobilization followed by physical therapy. So I would also recommend a consultation with a sports medicine specialist or a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PMR) specialist.
Expert:  Nurse Mandy replied 4 years ago.

My name isXXXXX you for using Just Answer. I am another expert with some additional information for you.

It wasn't mentioned in your post, so I am going to suggest she be on an Anti-Inflammatory medication, if she is not. This should be taken on a regular basis to get its full effect. I suggest Mobic 7.5 mg twice daily (generic is Meloxicam) This is a prescription, so this will need to be discussed with her doctor. If you do not want a prescription, over the counter ibuprofen can be taken. She can take 200mg three times a day with food.

There is also a book that can be purchased on amazon that talks about foods/vitamins that can promote healing. I will attach the link for you.

Copper is essential in healthy connective tissue and bones. Crimini mushrooms are a great source of copper. A low copper level can actually prolong healing.

Vitamin C helps with collagen production which can help with scar tissue. It can be found in bell peppers, strawberries, citrus fruit and broccoli.

I hope this additional information has helped. If you have any further questions please let me know. I hope you daughter gets better soon. Have a great day and a Happy New Year.

Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience: LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat