Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience:  LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat
8050997

I have no insurance, and frankly, am not able to afford a doctors

Customer Question

I have no insurance, and frankly, am not able to afford a doctors visit. That being said, I work for a manufacturing company and am required to work with sheet metal. As a result, I deal with chronic pain in my hand and back. Have dealt with this for months, and am at wits end. Please advise.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
I understand your problem, but may I ask what kind of assistance you were seeking about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll be honest with you, I feel like I need a prescription containing codiene or another related product. Ibuprofen, acetaminophin,naproxen are all things that I have tried to little avail, and i'm out of ideas. Been to chiropractors, massage therapists and I need to take a different direction.The physical demands of my job wont be going away anytime soon, and I desperately need to keep it.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate your honesty, and I'll be just as honest with you. For a US doctor to prescribe a controlled medication like that on line to a sight unseen patient and for that patient to receive same would constitute a felony on both parts. If you don't have insurance, you could try the Health Department or a clinic that has a sliding scale fee service.
Expert:  Nurse Mandy replied 4 years ago.

My name is Mandy. Thank you for using Just Answer. I am another expert with some additional information.

Have you tried a brace on your hand while you are working? If not, this could be another option for you. You can buy one for under $20.00 at most drug stores and super centers. It should only be worn when working, not all the time as it can actually weaken the muscles if worn all the time. If you do decide on the splint, take it off every couple of hours and stretch your hand out, move your wrist and fingers and then put it back on.

As far as your back, strengthening the core muscles which include your abdominals and back muscles is key to helping with back pain and preventing injury. You can join a gym and work with a trainer to strengthen your muscles. If that is not something you are interested in, there is a book called Core Performance that is available at most big chain book stores or it is available on Amazon.com.

As far as the OTC anti-inflammatories, these need to be taken on a regular basis for at least 2 weeks. Just taking them here and there will not give you the needed benefit. I suggest Ibuprofen 400mg three times a day with food (watch for stomach upset).

I hope this additional information has been helpful. If you have any further questions please let me know. Have a good day and Happy New Year.