911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

Hello Doctor! I am a 5 10" 157lb 27 year old male who has

Hello Doctor! I am a 5' 10" 157lb 27 year old male who has been experiencing heart palpitations on and off for about 3 years now that last no more than 2 or 3 seconds at a time. I usually notice them when I am lying in bed, using the computer, or walking from here to there. I have done multiple ECGs, but whenever I am having one done the sensation of my heart "skipping a beat" is never present and the results always come back normal. I was sent to a Cardiologist in early 2011 and they said they found no abnormalities after their tests, but on a personal note, I really don't think he was taking my case seriously at all and seemed very dismissive whenever I was asking questions. He seemed to be caught up on the fact that I am young and in the military and it was very unlikely for me to have anything serious. They gave me a heart monitoring device to wear and they told me to activate it whenever I was having an episode, which I used, but I was never told anything about it's results. They did an ultrasound and a stress test where they put me on a treadmill and took my blood pressure periodically.

Also, at times I do experience a very small twinge of "pain"/discomfort in my chest, but was told it may not be related to the heart palpitations and could be some kind of muscle spasm in the lining of my rib cage.

Lately, I have been experiencing them a bit more often than usual and was wondering if I should go back to the doctor or get a second opinion. I have never felt short of breath or felt as if I was going to pass out, even during increased physical activity such as weight training. I am not on any medication currently, but I do take a daily multi-vitamin and a fish oil capsule. I do not suffer from high blood pressure. I don't drink, but I do partake in the occasional cigar every couple of months.

Do you think it may be possible that they may have missed something on the ultra sound? Do you have any suggestions as to what may be causing this sensation and how to stop it? I am hoping I am just overreacting, but the palpitations can be very off-putting at times. Any guidance or advice with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

quite simple really

911Doctor :

you need to find out the result of the event monitor

911Doctor :

the device that you pressed when you felt the skipped beats

911Doctor :

you ARE young and healthy

911Doctor :

and if you have ahad not fainting episodes especially during PT then these are likely benign palpitations

911Doctor :

and extremely unlikely to be anything dangerous

911Doctor :

but knowing the military medical system

911Doctor :

things sometimes DO get missed

911Doctor :

or not reported

911Doctor :

so asking for the cardiologist or your doctor to tell you the results of the heart monitor is what you need to do next

Customer:

Is there any chance the Cardiologist may still have those test result? It was quite some time ago after all haha

911Doctor :

was it before the military?

Customer:

I originally had the test done in early 2011. No, it was done during active duty. I was referred out in town to a civilian since the clinic did not have a Cardiologist there.

911Doctor :

then you simply need to make a written request of the civilian cardiolgist

911Doctor :

may be ablet o simply call them

911Doctor :

and get the faxed rsults to you

911Doctor :

but you will want to take them to your primary physician to mak sure that you understand what they mean

911Doctor :

they will probably be normal

Customer:

Okay, I will make sure to do that.

911Doctor :

but it may be confusing to read the report.

911Doctor :

from the cardiologist without another doctor to interpret them.

Customer:

DO you have any suggestions as to how I can help reduce the amount of palpitations I experience?

911Doctor :

not without knowing why you have them

911Doctor :

have you had your thyroid checked/

911Doctor :

and do you take any energey supplements?

911Doctor :

drink energey drinks?

911Doctor :

use tobacco/

911Doctor :

?

Customer:

No energy drinks, supplements, soda, or coffee.

Customer:

I understand. Seems it all hinges on getting the heart monitor results then.

Customer:

No, I have not had my thyroid checked to my knowledge

911Doctor :

that is indeed the case......

911Doctor :

I might ask that of your doctor

911Doctor :

as a high functioning thyroid

911Doctor :

can cause palpitations especially in young and healthy patients

911Doctor :

so it's worth a atry

911Doctor :

and getting that result will be the other part

911Doctor :

do you have any more questions for me?

Customer:

Definitely. I'll make sure to bring that up as well.

911Doctor :

army?

Customer:

Well, considering the limited amount of info we have right now, do you recommend I still continue doing PT?

911Doctor :

yes

Customer:

No sir, NAvy

911Doctor :

no reason not to

911Doctor :

danger signs of palpitations

911Doctor :

are passing out

911Doctor :

and developing shortness of breath and chest pain with exertion

Customer:

Awesome, sounds good.

Customer:

Well, thank you for your guidance. I really appreciate it.

911Doctor :

no worries

911Doctor :

if I have been helpful then please click 'accept' so that JA will forward my fee to me.....

911Doctor :

thanks for your question and your business.

Customer:

I most definitely will

911Doctor :

and I am standing by if you have any further quesions.

Customer:

Sounds good, thank you

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician