911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

Ive been monitoring myself (and reporting to dr) bp for 6

I've been monitoring myself (and reporting to dr) bp for 6 weeks. Best 117/80,worst 168/103. Recently felt palpitations. EKG showed "extra" (in-between) beats, 4 days ago. Referred to Cardio for stress and 24 halter. Stress= no blockage, and halter revealed I was "all over the place". Given Bystolic (5mg 1xday) 2 days ago. At time of 1st dose bp . 140/94 P=87. 24 hrs later bp 117/70, P=70. Great says I till this am. bp = 157/102, then 132/108, P=51. took 3rd dose Bystolic. So far best today 128/78 P 47. I have just stayed i n bed today. I'm to call fam dr Tues am and report. Any comments, suggestions, Great Cardio Guy name in Burbank, CA. 69 yr old fem, 180 lbs, 5'6". Good, active, health? :} PS - just read Bystolic not for patients with palpitations.....??
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

yes,

911Doctor :

stop measuring your blood pressure so much

911Doctor :

you are getting, at best, XXXXX XXXXX from a your home bp cuff

911Doctor :

and normal blood pressure fluctuates throughout the day

911Doctor :

and depending on if you have just caffeine

911Doctor :

or tobacco

911Doctor :

but the numbers themselves....

911Doctor :

each individual measurement

911Doctor :

is of much less importance

911Doctor :

than the trend of blood pressure measurements

911Doctor :

done manually

911Doctor :

with a large cuff

911Doctor :

on a regular basis

911Doctor :

it is in these trends that we can get a good idea of your 'real' blood pressure

911Doctor :

there is absolutely no utility or evidence to suggest that chasing your blood pressure numbers and treating high numbers will do anything GOOD and a some pretty convincing evidence that you could to harm

911Doctor :

because while having a slightly high blood pressure over time..... over years.... can lead to heart attacks and strokes

911Doctor :

over treating and dropping your blood pressure to low can produce fainting episodes or worse

911Doctor :

so it sounds like you are getting great care from your doctors and that your heart is in fine shape

911Doctor :

it also sounds like your blood pressure is responding well to the medicine

911Doctor :

and that the best thing you could do is to relax and give it a bit of time and get some good in office measurements done

911Doctor :

you can actually make your blood pressure rise by watching it too closely as this produces anxiety , and anxiety can definitely raise your pressure.

911Doctor :

I am standing by for questions

Customer:

Thank you very much. Just the question re the appro of Bysstolic with palpitations? I feel better already. also have this dang cough thats going around here. XO to you.

911Doctor :

okay

911Doctor :

one second

911Doctor :

and the palpitations sound like premature ventricular beats

911Doctor :

which are of no concern at all

911Doctor :

PVC Is another name for them

911Doctor :

they are benign...

911Doctor :

as to the medicine

911Doctor :

stand by

911Doctor :

byastolic is a beta blocker and should not produce a cough

911Doctor :

though there are some blood pressure medicines that do... it is not one of them

911Doctor :

and there is no problem taking it with your palpitations

911Doctor :

do you have any further questions?

Customer:

No, i didn't mean the med was causing the cough, just that I had it already... Thanks so

911Doctor :

no worries....

Customer:

much, just needed a little hand holding I guess. XO Happy

911Doctor :

great

911Doctor :

any thing alse for me?

Customer:

New Year. No thank you. XXXXX glad you

Customer:

're there.

911Doctor :

happy to help

911Doctor :

if you have no further questions for me then please do click 'accept' so that JA will forward my fee to me......

911Doctor :

and have a blessed New Year.

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician