Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I am living abroad and recently had some stomach issues from

I am living abroad and recently had some stomach issues from something I ate. I took an antibiotic for it, and ended up with a yeast infection. It was pretty mild and went away on its own. I wash my clothes by hand here and don't have access to a clothes dryer and I think that I didn't clean some pajamas well enough because I wore them one night, and in the morning my yeast infection came back. Again, it was pretty mild and I was able to treat it without medication.

While it was improving, I noticed that the lymph nodes on the left side of my groin were a little tender. The left side of my labia major was also swollen and tender. I also have a cut on my left leg. When I noticed the lymph nodes, I started putting neosporin on the cut (which I know I should have been doing in the first place) and taking doxycycline (once a day as prescribed to me for malaria prophylaxis). I have gotten what a gyno told me was acne on my labia before, and this seemed similar, so I put medicine on it as well. Within a few hours everything was getting better. I have taken the pills for three days now and my lymph nodes feel normal, no pain. The swelling in my labia went down as soon as I put medicine on it. Also vaginal discharge is normal, no itching/redness or other signs of a yeast infection anymore. Unlike what I took for my stomach infection, doxy has never made me get yeast infections.

I guess I feel like I am fine now, but I was concerned since i was having "multiple issues." I would normally want to go to a gyno, but I don't know when I'll be able to see someone who I could explain this to in english. Can yeast infections involve the lymph nodes? Or does having a yeast infection sometimes lead to/trigger a bacterial infection? I don't have any other symptoms that suggest BV besides the swollen glands. I've had a yeast infection before and I am definitely sure that's what it was. The cut on my leg looked like it might have been a little infected, but I don't know if it had anything to do with it. Should I keep taking the doxycycline even though I am feeling better?
Hi--I take it you didn't have any cultures done?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
And the cut on the leg didn't appear infected?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well not severely. It was tender and a little red i guess. I don't know. Its a pretty small cut on my shin
OK. Then the groin node wouldn't have been from a leg infection, and yeast infections don't usually cause the symptoms you mentioned. This was most likely a bacterial vaginosis--not necessarily an STD--that was covered by the antibiotics you took. If this occurs again, you need a culture to get at the specific organism.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks. Should I keep taking the antibiotic for a while?
The dose and how much you've taken so far?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its 100 milligrams and I have taken it for three days.
Then I'd continue it for another week.