Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

My dad is 86 years old. He has had two heart surgeries - triple

My dad is 86 years old. He has had two heart surgeries - triple bypass when he was 60 and a mitral valve replacement two and one half years ago. Presently, he is experiencing periodic bouts of high fever, trembling and falling down. He was in hospital in November for this and was given antibiotics, intravenous and pain medication to stabilize the fever. He was also given an esophageal ultrasound to look at his heart and since then he cannot swallow and he coughs a lot. He also has nausea and doesn't eat much now. His fever has returned and he has fallen upon getting out of bed twice now. He is weak and he refuses to go to the hospital. He feels he is going to die and if that is going to happen he wants to die at home. Do you have any advice? Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.
When he was hospitalized in November, was the cause of the fever determined? In other words where was infection found?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The blood tests did not reveal anything noteworthy. In other words, they do not know.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.
Did they do a work up of all possible causes of infection, including pneumonia, urinary tract infection, meningitis, gallbladder, pancreatitis, etc? Or were they primarily focused on the heart and making sure it wasn't endocardititis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I suppose they focused on endocarditis but the scope revealed the heart was fine. As to the other causes, I do not know but he had no pneumonia and I think they considered a urinary tract infection. He seemed stable for a couple of weeks when he was released and now it is starting all over again.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Ideally in this situation taking him to the hospital for further work up of his symptoms (fever, tremors, loss of balance, decreased appetite) is recommended to explore things such as those mentioned previously and to treat accordingly. Other things to consider with these symptoms is cancer of some sort. However, if your father is not allowing or wanting any further medical attention and he is of sound mind, you really have to abide by his wishes. In the meantime, I do recommend that you treat him at home symptomatically, with tyelnol for the fever, fluids, protein shakes for nutrition, ibuprofen for pain, etc. If you could convince him to go the hospital or at least visit his doctor that would be ideal.

if you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask. If no further questions, please click accept.
Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will be taking him to a clinic tomorrow since wait times at hospital here is ridiculous. I don't want him to sit in a waiting room for hours. That would only accerbate the difficulties. I don't understand this temporary loss of balance and the falling down.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.
The loss of balance and falling down could be secondary to the infection/fever itself. It could also be secondary to malnutrition/dehydration given the fact that you stated he is not eating as much.

Regards
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.