JanelleRPA, Physician Assistant
Experience:  25 + years of experience in family practice, internal medicine and family planning

ever since I started my period at the age of 13 Ive had irregular

Customer Question

ever since I started my period at the age of 13 I've had irregular periods. I am now 29 yrs old. for the last five years I would not get it for months. This year about eight months ago I have been getting my period everyday. When I had insurance I did see various doctors. They did ultrasound and blood work and hormone count. everyone said I was fine. But i don't think not having my period regularly for so many years followed by everyday bleeding us normal. I no longer have insurance and I don't know where to go for help.
Category: Health
Expert:  JanelleRPA replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Janelle and I'm a family planning/reproductive health expert.

Vaginal bleeding every day for eight months is not acceptable. If you came to me with this problem, I would first do a comprehensive physical examination, including screening tests for vaginal/pelvic infections of all types. I would also test you for anemia, thyroid function, and bleeding disorders. If those and a pelvic ultrasound were normal, I would recommend a hormonal birth control method to control your bleeding.

I suggest that you look for a Planned Parenthood or Family Planning office in your area. Their fees are on a sliding scale based on your income and are always affordable.

Please feel welcome to write again if you have a follow-up question.

Best wishes and happy new year.