Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have eaten a large amount of sunflower seeds and now I cannot

Customer Question

I have eaten a large amount of sunflower seeds and now I cannot make a bm. It began Wed evening. I drank 4 oz of magnesium citrate on Thurs. Didn't make a bm but did have drainage and really hurt. I took Miralax on Wed and again on Friday. I still have not had a BM. I have managed to manually remove several seeds myself. Do I need to go to the ER?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 4 years ago.

Dr.Tiwari :

Dr.Tiwari :

Welcome at JA.

Dr.Tiwari :

You should not eat the large amount of seeds .

Dr.Tiwari :

This may some time lead to appendicitis or other problem to obstruction of passages.

Dr.Tiwari :

By looking at the history i will advice you to consult to your ROUTINE DOCTOR.

Dr.Tiwari :

There is not an emergency but if there occurs a severe abdominal pain then you should go to ER.

Dr.Tiwari :

Hope this will help you.

Dr.Tiwari :

With best wishes.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--I don't agree that this may not be an emergency situation. Can you tell me more about the pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have any pain. Just from my hemerroids from pushing. Should I be eating and drinking anything. I haven't eaten since Wednesday morning. I'm afraid I will get more backed up. Or should I be eating so it helps soften and push out?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Are you passing gas, and there hasn't been any bowel movement at all? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Passing little bit of gas starting today. Little bowel movement. Never happened before. I had a colonoscopy in Sept and it was clear.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
One last question--when did you last have a decent bowel movement?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm pretty regular-every morning. It was on Tuesday morning. Also wanted you to know that I am anemic which is the reason for the colonoscopy.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. The leakage without a real bowel movement is typical of a fecal impaction--stuck, hard stool in the colon that liquid stool can ooze around and be expelled. Since mag citrate and Miralax hasn't helped, except for lots of liquids there isn't anything else you can or should do at home for this. I would suggest that unless you have a fairly large bowel movement by the end of today, you call your primary care doctor and see if he feels you need either manual disimpaction or a sigmoidoscopy to loosen the blocked stool. I don't think you should go more than another 24 hours without a bowel movement.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much. The leakage was just for an hour or so after I drank the mag citrate. Haven't had it since. Gas just started today. I will go home and eat something and drink something. Do you have any suggestions? I will contact my pcp if I have not had bm by tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
For now, I suggest only liquids and soups.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice