DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director

Hi, Can you help? I have been suffering with a repetitive

Customer Question

Hi, Can you help? I have been suffering with a repetitive cough, on and off for the past five years. The doctor's have treated me for Asthma, no joy. I have tried Steroid nasal sprays, Antihistamines and Antacids also no joy. I have tried cutting out wheat and dairy from my diet too. X-rays came back clear. The cough usually comes on after I've has a cold but lasts for weeks to months afterwards. The cough is very deep in sound.. More like a gruff bark. Starting with a heavy and sometimes wheezy feeling. I also end up vomiting, where I cough so much, I can not catch a breath. I bring up a lot of frothy bile. The only thing that changed five years ago was that I had a total Thyroidectomy, which did give me a bad infection in the area which was treated with antibiotics. Any advice would be greatfully excepted as the cough really tiers me out and effects working as people react to me like I'm contagious. Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 4 years ago.
What do you mean by tested for asthma
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was tried on Flixitide, bectotide and the geneal blue inhalor.
That is not testing
So you have not had complete pulmonary function testing where you blow into a tube over a series of machine settings?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did write treated not tested in my original message, I did do a peak flow test and chart for a month, which showed that I was above average for an asthmas sufferer but I've never heard of Pulmonary funtion testing.
I would have this done.
If this is done and rules out a lung problem.
And if no allergies show up on testing and this does not respond to allergy treatment, then GERD or acid reflux has to be considered.
This can be a cause of chronic cough even with no other symptoms.
Ph monitoring of the esophagus by a gastroenterologist would confirm this.
A 2 to 4 week trial of a drug such as nexium would be another way of testing this.

An h pylori breath test should be done to rule out this bug as well, which can cause ulcers and gastritis.

good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.