Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hi, Im a 65 yr. old male 64" 182 lbs. In great shape. Bike

I'm a 65 yr. old male 6'4" 182 lbs. In great shape. Bike up to 60 miles in a single day and bike several times a week. Except for cheese and cracker at night during Winter months, I am a vegetarian with fish diet. Healthy cereals with skim milk for breakfast and healthy peanut butter and apple butter sandwiches for lunch. This summer experienced A-Fib which resulted in breathlessness climbing hills on bicycle. Was put on Multaq 400MG which helped a lot but a cardio harness indicated several incidents of a-fib in 2 weeks so put on Propafenone 325MG, but had a number noticeable breathlessness plus racing heart beat lying down at night. So stopped all meds. I would have good days and bad. Before doing stress test heart rate was 94 and went to 175 in 5 minutes. Put on 5MG Bystolic. Been feeling pretty good. Since I failed first 2 drugs, my cardiologist said I was a candidate for ablation. Doctor who would perform it feels that someone in my situation has an 85% of being cured. My question, is what are the odds that the Bystolic would continue to control my a-fib and would it prevent a situation when I get older of the formation of blood clots? BTW, before going on Bystolic, my blood pressure was 110/76. Before a-fib, it was 100/60. Would you recommend continuing on Bystolic and not do ablation, or would ablation be my best option?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--how long have you been on the Bystolic and since you have been on it have there been any afib episodes (and were these documented as afib)? Are you on Plavix or coumadin to prevent clot formation from the intermittent afib?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been on 5MG Bystolic once per day for 10 days so far. Initially, when I was on Multaq, Cardiologist had me on Pradaxa 150MG, but he decided that my risk of stroke was very small so he took me off it and put me on one a day 82MG Aspirin.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
You said the cardiologist said you were a candidate for ablation--is that to say that he told you that in his opinion you should have the procedure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cardiologist feels that since I failed two drugs, I am a candidate for abation.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. It's possible, but somewhat unlikely, that the Bystolic will prevent any further occasions of afib, and, if that were the case, then you wouldn't need the ablation. If, however, you still had episodes, then I would agree that ablation would be indicated for the problem.