911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

i have brown spots on my ankles how do i eliminate them

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

how old are you and has a physician told you what these spots are?

Customer:

51 and no

911Doctor :

do you have any medical problems and do you spend a lot of time in the sun.... particularly with your ankles exposed to the sun?

911Doctor :

are you there?

Customer:

i am

Customer:

i am lot on my feet and overwieght i am losing weight and exercising

911Doctor :

good

911Doctor :

I see

911Doctor :

take a look at THESE PICTURES HERE

Customer:

i have lost 38 pounds on the way to loose 36 more

911Doctor :

does this look familiary?

911Doctor :

good for you!

Customer:

what is familary

Customer:

they are bleed capilariies i think

911Doctor :

okay, but did you click on the link to see the pictures?

911Doctor :

I think they are probably not age spots which are shown in the pictures

Customer:

no sir

911Doctor :

can you click on it and tell me if those are what you are seeing on your ankles?

Customer:

they are not sir

911Doctor :

okay

911Doctor :

so they are red like capillaries...

911Doctor :

and you are losing a lot of weight

911Doctor :

and I think you are probably right

911Doctor :

these are, perhaps, spider veins, as we call them....

911Doctor :

and there IS something you can do

Customer:

which is

911Doctor :

if you have small capillary marks or spider veins in your ankles there is an in -office procedure that a vascular surgeon or dermatologist can do to eliminate them and it is simply to inject them with normal saline.... salt water.....

911Doctor :

it may take one or two treatments, but it works well, assuming this is what you have

Customer:

i took picture let me send this to you

911Doctor :

that's fine, though it does tend to be complicated to make it work....

911Doctor :

give it a shot

Customer:

hold on

911Doctor :

okay

Customer:

Full Size Image

911Doctor :

the picture is pretty low so it's hard for me to day

911Doctor :

but this does not look like spider veins and does not look like age spots

Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do you think it might be
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--the other expert is off line. How long have these been there and do you have any other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i don't have any other conditions that know of
graphic
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--do you have any problems with swelling in the legs, especially in the ankles?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no sir
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. This looks like pigmentary purpura which is a benign skin condition. There are medications that can help this, and the link I'm sending you will tell you more about that. If, after looking at the link, you still have questions, please come back and ask them. http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/progressive_pigmen.html
Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, I see you went offline and I must step away from the computer for a bit....

I think a dermatologist is who you need to see.... this mottled looking skin is probably temporary and probably due to your weight loss, but it is impossible for me to say from the picture you sent what you have and how to fix it.

I hope this has been helpful to you and that I have fully answered your question. If so, please do click on the green 'accept' button so that Just Answer will forward my fee to me.

If you are pleased with my service you can request me anytime when you place your question, and by starting your question with "for 911DOC".

Thank you for your business and have a great day.

wait a minute! I thoght of something..... TAKE A LOOKE HERE AND SEE IF THIS SEEMS LIKE WHAT YOU MAY HAVE.

IF SO YOU MAY LEARN MORE ABOUT IT HERE....

if it is livedo reticularis there is no real treatment, but ruling out underlying causes might be wortha visit to your physiican.
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician