Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

i have chronic diarrhea for like 18 years.. lomotil does not

i have chronic diarrhea for like 18 years.. lomotil does not work often. is there something you can recommend
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.

How frequently are you having the symptoms?

When have you consulted doctor last?

Do you take any other medicine?

Did you have any test?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sometimes i spend hours in the bathroom on bad days but it is daily at least. i have not had a "regular" movement in many years. i see my dr regularly. i am a brittle type 1 diabetic. i take many meds for many reasons. novolog and lantus for the sugars lisinopril for the kidneys nexium for the hyatal hernia and i also have diverticulosis. my dr says lomotil is as strong as it gets. it does not work for me anymore. i dont know how to fix this. im physically exhausted
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
Since the previous expert opted out, I would like to help.

Has a cause for your diarrhea been determined? Have you had testing on this such as colonoscopy? Stool testing? Have you seen a GI specialist regarding this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i had a colonoscopy just over a year ago an i have diverticulosis but thats all they could tell me. ive had the culture tests and nothin. im so tired all the time. actually the only thing that helps sometimes is an ice pack. my tummy heats up so bad when i have diarrhea and sometimes the icepack cools and calms ity
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

There are a number of causes of chronic diarrhea, they range from infection, inflammatory bowel disease, metabolic/endocrine issues, allergies, medications, IBS etc.

IF a colonoscopy and cultures revealed nothing then it is worth pursing metabolic causes of this diarrhea with blood work such as TSH, allergies with food allergy testing by an allergist, and a review of the medications you take for other reasons. This is something to discuss with your doctor.

There are a options for treatment for this and these do vary from what the original cause of the diarrhea is, for example if it is a thyroid issue, medications for that, if it is an allergy then avoidance of those foods etc. In terms of general control, high fiber diet, pepto bismol, anti-diarrhea medication as the Lomotil you have already mentioned, or something stronger like octreotide should be considered and tried after speaking with your doctor. In the meantime be sure you are drinking plenty of fluids to keep up with those lost.

If you have any further questions, please ask. If no further questions, please click accept.
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.