Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hi, About 2 weeks ago I had a nasty respitory virus. I actually

Hi, About 2 weeks ago I had a nasty respitory virus. I actually could not function for a week. Went to uc they did not do a chest film, just gave me cough meds and sent me on my way. I am doing much better. Except for my chest is very painful and sometimes my upper back. It actually hurts to move, and take deep breaths. I have been taking ib800 which dulls the pain, but does not relieve it, then its back with full force. I thought it was muscle strain, however its been a couple of weeks now and not getting any better. Could this be something more serious?
Hi--where exactly is the pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
mostly left side but radiates to both but the rib area under my breast, when the Ib wears off my upper mid back becomes painful
Any tenderness along your breast bone? Does the pain seem to follow the course of a rib?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it feels like it is coming from my rib cage and just radiating over, but most severe around the rib, The cough I had was pretty violent
OK. There are a few possibilities here. You might actually have cracked a rib with the coughing, and, if so, that may take another few weeks to resolve. Another possibility is costochondritis--inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the breast bone. A third is a dislocation of a rib in its attachment to the spine. Finally, and not very likely, you could have a lingering pneumonia. I would suggest another set of x-rays--rib details and thoracic spine. That said, I don't think this is anything serious and that it will resolve given more time.