Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

I had a hard fall landing on my on my knee, skinned it badly

Customer Question

I had a hard fall landing on my on my knee, skinned it badly at the bottom of my knee 8 days ago while jogging. At first it was mot super painful or swollen, but 8 hours later the thigh and tibia were swollen. The swelling went down after 5 days, but there is still a marble sized hard lump on my tibia tuberosity. It is painful to touch, walk down hill, up or down stairs. I am a runner and of course have not run at all since tis and have only taken three slow 30 minute walks for my dog. Otherwise I have been trying to keep my knee still and elevated, even at my desk job.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 4 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Does anything make it better or worse?

Customer: Advil makes it better. Walking the dog for 30 mintues, walking in high heels, which I wear to work, worsens it, hitting it on anything is painful. Dogs wagging tail struck it yesterday which hut quite a bit.
Dr Brims :

Is it swollen?

Customer: Yes there is a hard lump just below the knee cap about the size of a large grape. This has been about the same size for 4 days.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Only pain on bending is due to the scab on knee.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 4 years ago.
I see, and what question about this condition would you like me to answer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How to treat, what might be the cause, when I might be able to run on it again??
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 4 years ago.
First of all, with swelling and continued pain, I would recommend you have an x ray of your knee, you may have a bone bruise or a mild fracture on your tibial plateau, which will require an x ray at least to diagnose. You should not run, and if you have pain on it when you stand, then you should try to avoid placing weight on it as well.