DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

Hi there,could an endocrinologist or doctor/nurse with knowledge

Hi there,could an endocrinologist or doctor/nurse with knowledge of thyroid please answer this. I'm on 175mcg synthetic thyroid. Got blood test done today. Came back as TSH 12.1 ,Free T4 14.3 and free T3 is 3.5. Please cold you interpret these results. Will I need increase in current meds?
Also,I had run out of Thyroid med over Christmas ( silly mistake) so hadn't taken it for 5 days prior to blood test today. Will that have severely altered the results.
Hello
You need an increase in the current medication.
The TSH should be under 3.
The pituitary still senses not enough thyroid, and is trying to raise the thyroid hormone by secreting TSH.

good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for that. How much of the elevated TSH level will have been attributed to my not having taken thyroxine for 5 days prior to test ? Or will it not have altered results that much ?
Only a little of it
It takes a long time to adjust a dose change in terms of TSH about 6 to 8 weeks.
I would simply increase the dose slightly and re check in 6 weeks.
good luck