Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

After going to the hospital with severe chest pain, I was hospitalized

After going to the hospital with severe chest pain, I was hospitalized and had a nuclear stress test. The result was ""possible mild reversible anterior and inferior wall ischemia await cardiology review". I had a chat with Dr. Singh from Just Answer earlier and he said it meant I had a possible mild, but possibly reversible? heart attack. But I forgot to ask if it meant two events because it mentioned the anterior and inferior wall and all to ask what the anterior and the inferior wall was. Could you help me understand this please?

LeeXXXXX XXXXX
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

This does not tell us if it was 2 heart attacks or one, it only describes the location of the infarcts

Dr Brims :

Tha anterioir wall is the anterior wall of the heart, and the posterior wall is the posterior wall of the heart

Customer:

It said inferior, is that the same as posterior? Does that basically mean the front and the back?

Dr Brims :

No, sorry, that is my mistake

Dr Brims :

inferior is the inferior wall of the heart

Customer:

What does that mean, in layman terms? Just an interior portion? I'm trying to picture the model heart from biology class, lol

Dr Brims :

There are several areas on the heart as an organ, the anterior means front, and the inferior means bottom

Customer:

Oh, so the front and bottom showed an irregularity in the test. From what I could learn ischemia is lack of blood or oxygen? Is that what a heart attack is, in essence?

Dr Brims :

No, ischemia will lead to an infarction, which is a heart attack

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes. So I may not have had an actual heart attack, but kind of a preview of one? Am I correct in my research, that ischemia is lack of blood or oxygen?

Dr Brims :

yes, you are correct on both counts

Customer:

I did not receive any instructions upon discharge yesterday evening, in fact, I only found out the result of the test by reading the discharge packet this evening. Would it be okay to take a small dose aspirin until my follow up on January 10, 2012, or would that be over-thinking/overacting to the situation??

Dr Brims :

It would be fine to take until you see your doctor

Customer:

What would you recommend as a dose and how many times per day?

Dr Brims :

81mg once a day is the standard dose

Customer:

Ok, Thank you so much! Have a wonderful holiday weekend, enjoy ringing in the New Year!!

Dr Brims :

You're welcome, same to you
If you have other questions at another time you may request me by starting your question with "for Dr Brims", or return to this question
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this topic
If not, please click the green ACCEPT button to end this chat session

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience