Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

injectible B12 prescription

Customer Question

injectible B12 prescription
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 4 years ago.
What is your health question
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm trying to find out how to obtain a prescription for b12 injectibles. My neighbor is a registered nurse here in Ohio and willing to do the injections for me but I don't have a prescription for the b12. My physician suddenly retired and I haven't found a new doctor yet. The one we were referred to doesn't believe in b12 shots which I've been receiving on and off for ten years for Chronic Fatigue. Is this something you can assist me with?
No you have to have a physician that has examined you to get these legally.
So unfortunately you will have to find a physician that believes in the indication.

Another option is a prescription for nasal B12 which absorbs through the nasal lining, which might be easier.
This use to be over the counter but is not a prescription item.

good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
There is actually little evidence supporting use of Vitamin B12 except in those with low B12 level.

Research has shown that in most people oral B12 tablets are just as effective as injection. The B12 tablets are available without a prescription.