Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My middle finger became swollen after bowling about a month

My middle finger became swollen after bowling about a month ago. The swelling is mainly at the PIP joint (middle knuckle), and it has a bulge on one side. The tip of the finger is swollen very slightly as well. This has been going on for over one month. The past week I started to wrap it with medical tape and "buddy tape" it to the next finger, and the swelling went down. But, when I took that off last night I woke up with pain and my finger had swelled back up. There is no redness, signs of infection, or bruising. Does this sound like a bone/ligament injury, or something else (like arthritis or something)?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds that you likely injured connective tissue at the area of this joint (tendon or ligament)

Anthony Bray MD :

I would recommend that you take an anti-inflammatory med for it such as Aleve. Continue the light compression wrap/buddy tape method you were using and see an orthopediist for follow up since it has bothered you this long.

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps. If you have further questions then let me know and I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking, but I was worried that it could have been something else like arthritis or something. Is the fact that it swelled up after taking my wrap reason for worry?

Anthony Bray MD :

Well hopefully not but I do worry that you might have injured the joint capsule and this could produce trouble down the road...

Anthony Bray MD :

That is partly why I think it best to have an orthopedist take a look at it.

Customer:

I am going on vacation and cannot get into a doctor beforehand. I am making sure it does not sound like something that requires immediate care.

Anthony Bray MD :

I don't think it needs immediate medical attention but best to observe the care such as what you have been doing and AVOID re-injury!!

Customer:

Thank you.

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome.

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice