CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

5 treatments I am still depressed so I go back Wed to continue my ECT

A few months ago I underwent 11 ECT treatments and it changed the way I feel completely and my thoughts of suicide were totally gone.
After 2 or 3 months I am depressed ahain and I'm having ECT again and after 5 treatments I am still depressed so I go back Wed to continue my ECT

I do not understand how this happened. I felt great for a while and now I am depressed again and I am sick of going to ECT

thank you

Hi David, thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today. I am sorry you are having such a hard time. Depression can be treatment resistant at times, but judging from your past experience of success after 11 ECT treatments, I would say there is a very good chance that by the time you near the end of your treatments, you will once again feel much better. I want to encourage you to stick with it, I know it's not pleasant, but since it has proven to be an effective treatment modality for you, it makes sense to continue until all treatments are complete. I hope you feel better very soon:-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you

I have another question please. Why would something like this happen? There is probably no answer, but why would I be fine after ECT and then all of a sudden I drop back into the same place I was before.

I don't want to take ECT for the rest of my life

I found a device on the internet that is similar to ECT but it is a small unit that can be used at home and one must have a prescription to purchase this. If you have time can you look at this please?

thanks again

Hi:-) In many cases, ECT doesn't have a sustained benefit..... and it is not uncommon for a relapse at about the 6 month mark. Supportive Medications can help sustain the benefits longer for some people. But please don't let this discourage you. I would ask the Doctor what he thinks about the home unit... and if he would consider a trial,under his supervision. In review of the information link you sent, it does look promising.