Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

hi, gelcap stuck in throat. Will it dissolve? I am in a foreign

Customer Question

hi, gelcap stuck in throat. Will it dissolve? I am in a foreign country, headed home in two days.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Does it feel like it is stuck in your glottis, near your vocal cords (adams apple area)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It feels like just below my vocal cords. It affects my speech only a little but I feel it when I swallow
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
This can usually dissolve - but usually more so in the stomach where the acid in the stomach dissolves this faster.
As long as you are not having breathing problems and it is below the vocal cords you should be fine to wait.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Let's assume I go to bed tonight. In the morning how will I know that things are rolling along ok? And is it safe to eat? I'll be getting on a plane from Germany to US
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
If you eat, you might dislodge the gel cap and hence it might continue further into your stomach.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What are the signs that I am in danger and need to visit a doctor? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
If you are choking, having difficulty breathing and if you have the opportunity you can go to an ER in Germany and they can look down your throat /esophagus with a fiber optic scope to see where the gel cap is located.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
and if I am not choking or having difficulty breathing, but it is still there (it is, one hour later), can this wait two days until I get home?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Yes, this could possibly wait for a couple of days and by then it might be dissolved.
Take care