DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

MRI: There is a mild levoconvex scoliosis present. There is

MRI: There is a mild levoconvex scoliosis present. There is some minimal disc degeneration seen at the l2-3, l3-4, and l4-5 levels, with both narrowing and desiccation of the L5-S1 disc present. incidental note made of a rudimentary s1-2 disc. Disc narrowing accompanied by mild and broadbased bulging of the disc and annulus. there is no concentric spinal stenosis present. neural foramina appear adequately patent. no neuropathic impingement of nerve roots is seen. no destructive lesions or fractures are present. mild facet arthropathy is present at the l3-4 level. there may be some minimal l2-3 facet arthropathy. all posterior elements are intact. What does all this mean...??? It's an old injury and I am currently on a ton of meds just to get through each day. Should I have surgery...?
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 2 years ago.
Please mention your symptoms in details?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sharp pain in low back and from low back thru butt down to feet sharp pain....mainly on the right side....some in the left but again very bad on the right. Sometimes I will get burning in thigh....right side...again sometimes on left...and numming feeling at times in foot area.
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 2 years ago.
Since when you have these symptoms?

Have you tried any treatment?

What kind of doctor have you been to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it's an 1990 injury

however, since 2002 has been at it's worst...

as of 2009 I've been unable to work f/t due to the pain.

I've had PT done many times...

I've tried walking losing weight..(which I lost 102 and it didn't help)

I've seen surgeons who's wanted to do surgery...

but was told i had a 50% chance of being worse...

so I opt'd out that option...

I see a pain management doc who's on vac now and just got my results today...

That's why I am on this site tonight...to see if I need surgery or cont taking over 25pills a day....??? I'm in pain daily...more bad days then good.

Expert:  DR MED MD replied 2 years ago.
do you have copy of MRI report?

Can you please type and send me CONCLUSION / IMPRESSION of report again?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

FINDINGS: There is a mild levoconvex scoliosis present.

There is some mininal disc degeneration seen at the l2-3, l3-4 and l4-5 levels with both narrowing and desiccation of the l5-s1 disc present. incidental note made of a rudimentary s-12 disc. Disc narrowing accompanied by mild and broadbased bulging of the disc and annulus. There is no concentric spinal stenosis present. neural foramina appear adequately patent. no neuropathic impingement of nerve roots is seen. no destructive lesions or fractures are present. mild facet arthropathy is present at the l3-4 level. there may be some minimal l2-3 facet arthropathy. all posteror elements are intact.

Expert:  DR MED MD replied 2 years ago.
Is this your first MRI?

Any previous reports available?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no this is not my first mri...my last one was in 2002 and i don't have that one...sorry
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your patience and all the information .

Pain in lower limbs in degenerative disc disease occur due to compression on nerves by herniated disc in lower back.

You MRI is not showing significant nerve compression but you have severe symptoms.

Levoconvex scoliosis is abnormal curvature of spine towards left and is mild in your case. It usually does not require surgery.

For disc also there is no absolute indication on surgery.

You can go for epidural steroid injections. This will suppress inflammation around the irritated nerve, thereby helping to relieve pain.

Continuous physical therapy is also required along with pain medication.

Surgery is usually reserved for compressed nerve that causes significant weakness, bowel or bladder incontinence or when you have pain that gets progressively worse or doesn't improve with other therapies.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
why I am having server symptoms...???
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 2 years ago.
I have not seen you MRI, but your symptoms are due to sciatica.

There may be compression of nerve which is not mentioned in report.

Thanks
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: MD