CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I suffer from severe anxiety and OCD (obsessive thoughts that im never

I suffer from severe anxiety and OCD (obsessive thoughts that im never reasurred that it is actually anxiety and its something much worse). Ive been noticing that my concentration/memory is being affected and in return causing me to obsess about this/constantly worry that its something more serious. I feel like i am constantly catching myself staring out into space not even thinking about anything. I know this has to be anxiety related but why does this happen and how can i help myself to realize that its just anxiety and to stop questioning everything? I feel like im going crazy all the time due to these thoughts and worries I get.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.

Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am happy to help you today.I am sorry you have been having a hard time with anxiety.

Being acutely aware of your body and the most subtle changes, such as an increase in heart rate, can be a catalyst for anxiety...causing your body to shoot out adrenaline which can lead to some or all of these symptoms:

Chest pain , tightness or discomfort

Fear of dying

Fear of losing control

Tremors
Dizziness or feeling like you might pass out

Sweating

Chills

Hot flashes

Nausea
Numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or face
Palpitations

Fast heart rate

Shortness of breath

Feeling like you are choking

Feeling detached or disconnected from reality
Feelings of impending doom

For example.. you bend over to pick something up…. Your heart rate goes up.. you become aware of it and become anxious …now starts the barrage of symptoms and a full blown panic attack. Your body is producing adrenaline and the symptoms keep on coming…

The single most important thing to remember is that THIS CAN NOT HARM YOU. It’s just the adrenaline ….. and it WILL pass.

The scary thing about Anxiety is that it can seem to come out of nowhere.. without a concrete cause that you can pinpoint. Anxiety can cause alterations in breathing patterns and it may be that you are holding your breath or breathing too rapidly which can cause fatigue and the symptoms you are experiencing. There is something you can do right now to stop it..... initiate proper breathing. You can help alleviate the feeling of throat tightness, panic and and shortness of breath by changing your breathing pattern to abdominal breathing. To abdominal breathe ( which is a much more effective breathing technique) place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your chest... watch to see which rises. It should be the abdomen, NOT the chest.Practice breathing using your abdominal muscles... (to breathe with chest muscles causes fatigue and more shortness of breath) by taking in a deep breath through your nose.. making sure only the hand on your abdomen moves, slowly.. and exhale slowly through the mouth.. your abdomen should flatten with exhalation. Do this three breaths at a time. Breathing correctly will immediately eliminate anxiety...., every time. If it comes back do it again. Here is an excellent link to read more about anxiety:

ANXIETY

Consider taking extra hydration ( at least 8 glasses of water per day), this will help as well as de-stressing through the use of biofeedback and relaxation techniques ,

definitely plan to get adequate sleep. Sleeping is so important for over all well being.

Here is an interesting article and video:

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

This article explains why incorrect breathing causes anxiety symptoms:

http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/003071.htm

Also look for EASY CALM by John Mercer video series on youtube.. John Mercer has some excellent techniques.

I hope this information helps you. If I can help further, please let me know.