CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I have PTSD, it had calmed down a little over time, but over

I have PTSD, it had calmed down a little over time, but over the past week has came back almost as bad as it ever was. Im freaking out and need help, what is the best place to go?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today. If you feel that you are in crisis .. go to your local emergency room, they will be able to help you. What is happening? What are you feeling?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm having flashbacks, and severe panic attacks. Wasn't sure if the emergency room could help though. I went off all of my meds awhile back and now it's came back with a vengeance. Can't breathe, my hands are numb, every noise startles me (I have 3 kids, there's a lot of noise)
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry you are going through this.... but you can change it right now. REALLY:-) Remember this... this has happened before... it has not harmed you and WILL NOT HARM you. You can get through this....

Being acutely aware of your body and the most subtle changes, such as an increase in heart rate, can be a catalyst for anxiety...causing your body to shoot out adrenaline which can lead to some or all of these symptoms:

Chest pain , tightness or discomfort

Fear of dying

Fear of losing control

Tremors
Dizziness or feeling like you might pass out

Sweating

Chills

Hot flashes

Nausea
Numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or face
Palpitations

Fast heart rate

Shortness of breath

Feeling like you are choking

Feeling detached or disconnected from reality
Feelings of impending doom

For example.. you bend over to pick something up…. Your heart rate goes up.. you become aware of it and become anxious …now starts the barrage of symptoms and a full blown panic attack. Your body is producing adrenaline and the symptoms keep on coming…

The single most important thing to remember is that THIS CAN NOT HARM YOU. It’s just the adrenaline ….. and it WILL pass.

The scary thing about Anxiety is that it can seem to come out of nowhere.. without a concrete cause that you can pinpoint. Anxiety can cause alterations in breathing patterns and it may be that you are holding your breath or breathing too rapidly which can cause fatigue and the symptoms you are experiencing. There is something you can do right now to stop it..... initiate proper breathing. You can help alleviate the feeling of throat tightness, panic and and shortness of breath by changing your breathing pattern to abdominal breathing. To abdominal breathe ( which is a much more effective breathing technique) place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your chest... watch to see which rises. It should be the abdomen, NOT the chest.Practice breathing using your abdominal muscles... (to breathe with chest muscles causes fatigue and more shortness of breath) by taking in a deep breath through your nose.. making sure only the hand on your abdomen moves, slowly.. and exhale slowly through the mouth.. your abdomen should flatten with exhalation. Do this three breaths at a time. Breathing correctly will immediately eliminate anxiety...., every time. If it comes back do it again. Here is an excellent link to read more about anxiety:

ANXIETY

Consider taking extra hydration ( at least 8 glasses of water per day), this will help as well as de-stressing through the use of biofeedback and relaxation techniques ,

definitely plan to get adequate sleep. Sleeping is so important for over all well being.

Here is an interesting article and video:

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

This article explains why incorrect breathing causes anxiety symptoms:

http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/003071.htm

Also look for EASY CALM by John Mercer video series on youtube.. John Mercer has some excellent techniques.

I hope this information helps you. If I can help further, please let me know.

CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the help, ive been living with this for going on 10 years now, was having a really bad night and day.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
You know then that this always resolves..... As you get better and better with the way you handle the symptoms... this will affect you less and less and hold less and less power over you. I hope you are feeling better right now. Feel free to follow up here for no additional charge.. ok?