Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

I take 10g (one half tablet) of Atorvastatin daily. Considering

I take 10g (one half tablet) of Atorvastatin daily. Considering I typically have 2 -3 drinks before dinner ... should I take this before bedtime or when I wake up?
Usually, this medication is taken before bedtime. It is generally recommended not to drink alcohol while taking this medication. Since the drug acts over a 24 hour period, and you consume alcohol before dinner while taking the med at bedtime, I don't think it would make a difference if you took the med in the morning. But you need to know that it would be much better if you did not consume alcoholic beverages while being treated with Atorvastatin.

Having said all that:

You need to inform your doctor of your normal alcohol consumption. This needs to be factored into your treatment plan. Your doctor may want to monitor your liver function more closely, since both alcohol and this medication can cause liver damage (separately, and especially when taken together).

Also, try to keep your alcohol consumption to *no more* than 2 drinks per day. A drink equals 4-5 oz of wine; 12oz of beer; or 1.5oz of liquor. Still, inform your doctor of your normal habits. This will help him/her decide what treatment plan, or medication, is best for you.