Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

Why does my chest hurt after drinking alcohol?

Why does my chest hurt after drinking alcohol? It almost feels like its in my bones and in my sternum area. Hurts to move to the left or right and if i push anything. Sometimes it hurts after just one drink. For a while i thought there was something out of place in my sternum but i realized it was just alcohol induced.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to and thanks for your question.
Well as you describe there may be possibility of Gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD).
GERD occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) opens spontaneously, for
varying periods of time, or does not close properly and stomach contents rise up into the esophagus which results in burning-type pain in the lower part of the mid-chest, behind the breast bone(sternum).
Alcohol can irritate gastric mucosa.
So you can try OTC Prilosec/Zantac.
Also you should avoid alcohol,caffeine,spicy, fried, greasy food,carbonated beverages.
Drink plenty of water.
Stress and anxiety are contributing factors which aggravate GERD symptoms.
Apart from this, if your symptoms 'll persist then you need to be seen by Gastroenterologist for a clinical examination and undergo Ultrasound Whole Abdomen,H.pylori test,Upper GI scopy to rule out underlying Peptic ulcer,Gallbladder disease for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.