Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

my muscles First it was in my arms and really painful..right leg

I am having problems with soreness in my musles First it was in my arms and really painful when I used them more in one then another. Then it lightened up but still don't have much strength in them. Then it moved into my right leg. Bad pain and soreness and can barley walk. Sometime if I am on my feet a long time it goes down my buttocks and in my legs?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and sorry for the delay in responding. How long has this been going on? Your age, gender, and other medical conditions? Have you seen a doctor about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A week and I am 74. Yes I went to emergency room with pain. He thought it might be my back.and gave me some pain medicine. It is my leg that hurtsand spasms down the leg.it is upper thigh.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Did you get any x-rays or an MRI? No problem like this before a week ago?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes exrays He talked about frayed nerve endings.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Was any trauma involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no nothing strenous
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. An x-ray alone can only look at bones and the disk spaces but not the disks and the nerve roots themselves. You need an MRI of the spine to look at those, since you may have a ruptured disk. If that were the case, I would refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist--for treatment since very often this can be well treated and allieviated without the need for surgery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I knew this I just wondered if it could possibly be something else or this is the only thing could be wrong.?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--tell me about the arm problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was just an acheing like my legand has eased up now and barely feel an ache when I lift it.. But it took about a month to get well. and my leg hurts worse because I guess I have to put weight on it and didn,t have to work my arms that much.. but the third problem goes down my two buttocks down my leg.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And the other leg--no problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There has a lot of strain put on it because I could hardly put any weigh on my right leg otherwise it is ok.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
When you just stand and put weight on the right leg, where is the pain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the muscle about 3 inches down from the hip in the front inside around to the side outside.When I lift it it hurts and getting up from the chair is a sort of sharp pain and just being still or sitting is a dull acheing pain.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, if we consider different muscle groups as in arms and legs, then an autoimmune disorder or low thyroid might be the cause. If we look just at your right hip area alone, this could be bursitis. I'd still get an MRI of both your spine and your hip.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice