Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hi, for the 2nd time in a year or so, I am experiencing some

Hi, for the 2nd time in a year or so, I am experiencing some tingling/numbness in the rectal area. No pain and normal bowel & urinary function. Based on my previous experience, I guess I'm expecting it to go away eventually, but would like to know if this is indicative of something serious.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--is this in your anus? No similar symptoms except in the one area?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's "around" that area - kinda hard to pinpoint - I feel it both when sitting in a way that puts pressure there and in contracting those muscles, as in a BM. As an added bit of info, I was a serious road cyclist for many years, which I understand can put pressure on the bundle of nerves that runs under there - are these the same as the sacral nerves? However, I have only ridden stationary bikes (lifecycles) for the past 3 years and have not had this symptom before the first time several months ago. Dan
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Well is the feeling somewhat between the anus and your scrotum? Is it constant?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As I continue to collect data, I'd say it's behind - more like running from the anus back toward the tailbone, and it's only noticable when I sit on something hard or am having a BM. It is not uncomfortable - just disconcerting. Clinching sets off a brief "flare" of "buzzing" in that area.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
So--very important here--does it seem to be at the far tip of the tailbone or more up the backside than that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's definitely "south" of the tailbone. And since I've written last, I've had some tingling toward the scrotum (not full numbness like elsewhere). Wondering if I'm getting psycho-symptomatic now!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. This could be pudendal nerve neuralgia, especially with your history of cycling. will tell you more about this.