Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have dry itchy scalp - it flairs up periodically and sometimes

I have dry itchy scalp - it flairs up periodically and sometimes see / feel red patches or large scales in scalp. My hair has also been shedding i.e thinning as well as getting shorter - what can i use to stop this and help my hair and scalp to start repairing itself
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--before I answer, has a doctor ever looked at this and treated the problem or checked for causes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I once talked to my doctor who simply gave me a shampoo to use for the dry scalp - no other investigations have taken place. They tried to say it was natural for some thinning / shedding of my hair but this is more than a little and it has been happening over the past 4 years! I am 38. The shampoo was called Ketopine. This seemed to help a little with the scalp. I have had some levels of stress in the past 10 - 11 years which I know can impact hair thinning etc. The first was becoming a diabetic, (it's about 2 years after this that I noticed the hair thinning) The second was stress around my job. I am a person who has suffered from anxiety but I have treated this homeopathically with ignatia which has worked. Hope this helps. Dionne

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--but you'd like to try something else besides the ignatia?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The ignatia was for my anxiety and stress - I am wondering if there is anything else I could try specifically for the dry, itchy scalp and thinning hair

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
I understand. Before I answer, your age, gender and medical conditions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am 38, of afro-caribbean descent, female and only medical condition is that I am diabetic and I take tablets for this
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. You can try any if the following--lavender oil, eucalyptus oil, chamomile oil, olive oil, lemon juice with peppermint, and apple cider vinegar.