Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Pelvic pain

Hi there, I am a 29 year old woman, extremely overweight, who is otherwise healthy. I recently experienced a pain on the left side of my lower pelvic area, as well as constipation and gas. I am lactose intolerant and recently ate a great deal of cheese, and I am not sure if this pain is something I should be concerned about. Over the past two months I have had bronchitis and a sinus infection and have been on two rounds of antibiotics. I have missed my last two periods, but there is no chance that I am pregnant. I am not sure if I should do a glycerin laxative and wait for this to go away, or if this could be something more serious, and maybe I should go to a doctor. I do want to mention that I am what some people consider a hypochondriac, and i worry constantly about illness, so this pain is making me afraid I have some sort of disease or cancer. Please help. Thank you. I have already asked this to one doctor who focused solely on my weight issue. Please do not do that to me, I get that enough from people.
Hi--tell me all you can about the pain and other symptoms
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is kind of a pressure or fullness, almost like a menstrual cramp, but not where I usually feel them. It is the bottom left of my pelvic area, where my leg joins my body. It seems to be better when I am lying down and have it stretched out. I haveny had a very good bowel movement for a couple days. I have had some, but nothing substantial or hearty. I also have a gas like pain throughout my whole stomach area, so I am not sure if the two are related. I just dont know if its gas, constipation, due to my lack of period, or something totally different all together. Thank you so much for your help.
And tenderness or a lump there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no nothing
But from your description, this sounds more in your groin than in your abdomen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah it kinda is more in my groin
Does it come and go, and when it's there, does it hurt to flex the hip?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is pretty much there constantly, but it does feel better after i do some lunges, but then the pain comes back. Is that what you would call flexing your hip? I dont know if my bathroom problems might be causing me some sort of issue. When I try to have a bowel movement nothing comes up, and it feels like a heavy pressure on the inside of my rectum. They might be two unrelated things.
OK. The area you describe makes this very unlikely to be intestinally related. This could either be a chronic bursitis or perhaps a small inguinal hernia without a noticeable lump. An MRI or ct scan of the abdomen, pelvis, and hip would likely make the diagnosis.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me the treatments for those options? I am terrified of doctors :(
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
and would the fact that I have missed my period the last two months be okay considering i was on antibiotics?
Well, the pain wouldn't be related to, say, your ovaries or at least for it to be in that area would be very unusual. As for the missed period, that could be from hormonal imbalance or a thyroid condition.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there anything not serious or non surgery needed things it could be? I am not healthy enough for a surgery.
I don't think it's very serious, but it needs to be checked out. A small hernia can become incarcerated or stuck and might need surgery.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How soon would I need to get it checked out? Could it just be a pulled muscle? Sorry, I am not trying to shoot down your diagnosis, just trying to find something less horrible that it could be.
How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
About a week. The pain started after a day that I spent a lot of time on my feet, then it went away, then there was another day I was on my feet doing thigns all day, and it came back. It isnt a horrible pain, its more a nagging pain.
Then it's likely either a muscle pull or hip bursitis--neither a serious condition. Try applying capsaicin cream and not doing more than necessary walking for a week and it will probably disappear.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will do that, and if it doesnt help, I will go and get it checked out. Thank you for all your help and your thoroughness.