drknowsbest
drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health
9384716

I have been taking Advair for years. I take 1/2 the recommended

Customer Question

I have been taking Advair for years. I take 1/2 the recommended dosage now. Recently I have had episodes where my heartbeat would double and BP would also be elevated. This would happen while watching TV, no exertion. My doctor and I decided to stop taking Advair all together. When I did so, after 2-3 days I woke up to a burning chest pains and sore chest (like someone hit me mid chest). This feeling did not go away so I resumed my usual dosage. The burning sensation went away in an hour or two but the sore chest remained all day. Am I having withdrawal problems with this medication? Should I gradually reduce my dosage?
Submitted: 5 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  drknowsbest replied 5 years ago.

drknowsbest :

its possible that you are having rebound pain from reducing the dose

drknowsbest :

the advair part that is a beta agonist is like a long acting rescue inhaler and can increase heart rate and cause palpitations

drknowsbest :

i agree off would be better for that but the alternative is to just take the steroid half

drknowsbest :

this would be like a pulmicort, flovent, asmanex

drknowsbest :

this may help reduce the soreness but not increase risk of palpitations

drknowsbest :

as advair is a combo med with a steroid component and a beta agonist/dilator component

drknowsbest :

if no further questions please press accept-i would discuss the alternative meds i mentioned to your dr

Customer:

What about the withdrawal issue? How do I stop taking this drug?

drknowsbest :

if you change over to the other ones you should not have any soreness/withdrawal as you are still taking the steroid component-with the stopping of the other component you could try dropping to 100/50 dose twice a day then once a day then every other day then off (each for a week) this is not always necessary but you may be very sensitive

drknowsbest :

because of the method of administration you cant effectively decrease the dose lower than 100/50

drknowsbest :

any more questions?

Customer:

No, thanks.