Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I was own generic prozac since it hit the market. It was the

I was own generic prozac since it hit the market. It was the only anti depressent that did not cause me a lot os side effects. The last several years my sodium count has gone down and recently went to 110 and I ended up in the hospital for six days. They did not determine the cause but suspected it may be long term use of prozac. My Sodium is now up to 128 and rising. They put me on Wellbutren (sp)....This stuff gives me major side effects, morbid thoughts and feelings anxiety, paranolia (sp), alsi some physical ones too. any thoughts on a different drug...? I am fustrated at this point. He wants me to go to a phychiatrist but everyone one around here has a two month wait.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me all the antidepressants that have been tried?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Generic Prozac for 20 years, currently on Wellbutran. Prior to the Prozac I was on several different drugs, but coun't tell ou which ones.
O
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--so do you plan to see a psychiatrist when you can?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have an apppt scheduled but not until mid Feb ...so to be honest I am not sure.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--so you're wondering if there may be a different medication that won't affect your sodium?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, the primary problem is the mental effects that this has, I think about morbid things and all sorts of bad things that could happen, crying etc. . I did not have these thoughts before the Wellbutren. I am not so worried re the sodium as I am sure my dr will continue to test on a regular basis. Seems like to me that in my case I have all of the negative side effects of this drug.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I agree--were you wondering about a different medication besides Prozac?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wish I coud be back on Prozac, but after the sodium issue I doubt my Doc would allow. I am on the Wellbutren, this is the one that IS giving me trouble.. so what I would like is some recommendations for something like prozac,.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'd suggest trying either Effexor or an MAO inhibitor. Especially the MAO inhibitor is much less likely to cause a sodium problem.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice