Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Can someone please tell me if it has been documented that Mirapex

Can someone please tell me if it has been documented that Mirapex may cause compulsive shoplifting? Since I have began the drug for RLS. I have been arrested several times... I do not want to go to jail! This is not my behavior..is this a side effect ?(compulsive behavior)? I have read mixed compulsive behaviors such as gambling, etc..but I'm beginning to believe that my shoplifting can be linked to Mirapex.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Hi--documentation as in a peer reviewed study specifically related to shoplifting isn't available, but Mirapex is known to cause compulsive behaviors in some patients. The link http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/injury-law/drug-toxic_chemicals/miraprex-side-effects.htm will be helpful for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I already had that web site with that, but needed a mental health professional. Shoplifting is compulsive behavior much like compulsive gambling or spending, correct?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Very true. Sorry if you weren't satisfied with that information, but may I ask exactly what you wanted in the way of documentation?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Basically, wanting to know if yes, shoplifting, or compulsive shoplifting can and is a side effect of Mirapex. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. Since compulsive behavior has been documented in some patients, then, yes it could be argued that that was the cause of your illegal behavior. What I was trying to get at is that just because the possibility exists, that alone wouldn't necessarily be a sure fire legal defense. An evaluation by a psychiatrist or psychologist would also be needed to be added to the mix. If either of those can document that you don't suffer from a chronic obsessive/compulsive disorder then that would probably be sufficient to exonerate you.