Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have been on Cymbalta for Severe anxiety/Agoraphobia issues

I have been on Cymbalta for Severe anxiety/Agoraphobia issues since Nov 11th. Started at 30 mg a day for 7 days. Then after 7 days my dosage was increased to 60 mg a day. Since then I have noticed at best a very slight improvement. How long does it take for this drug to work on Severe anxiety disorder? I am afraid that it will never work. Will a dosage change be needed? How long should I give it. My psychiatrist says it takes 6-8 weeks for the full effects to be noticed but I read people online who say it works much faster and other people who say it never works. I am really concerned as severe anxiety/Agoraphobia issues are still difficult to deal with and they are keeping me from working. Sometimes my anticipatory anxiety is worse before I am exposed to being outside. Any helpful advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I have tried CBT with little sucess.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--were you on any other medication before this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Currently I am on Remeron,Xanax and Gabapenton for anxiety. Prior to this I have been on Lorazepam, Vistaril, Lexaprio,Lexapro and Luvox over the last year and a half. I have also tried Seroquel and Trazedone.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
I'd say at this point that you are on the maximum dose for Cymbalta and that by now, if it were going to make a substantial improvement in your symptoms, it would have. I personally would next try Wellbutrin since it works in a somewhat different manner.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Even though I have only been on the maximum dosage for 3 1/2 weeks?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Btw, I forgot to tell you that I was on Wellbutrin a while back and it did not work
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
You can give it another month, I'm just going on the fact that you haven't seen much improvement so far. In my experience, those that are going to benefit from it see more improvement than you have by now. If not Wellbutrin, I'd try Buspar.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Buspar didn't work either. I keep remembering all the drugs I have been on. I guess I should just give up?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
No--don't give up just wait another month. I'm sure there are others you haven't tried, but I can't guess as to what others you may not have been on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Btw I did say that I have had slight improvement from the Cybmalta.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Then it's worth your while to wait and see--it may be that you are one of the few that it takes more like two months for the full effect.