Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My son has been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and he has

My son has been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and he has to much Dompamine is his brain. His Dr. was trying new medication, Sasphris(sp), and now he is having some issues with thoughts like he had before. He still has his risperdal 3 mg. He has stoped taking the sasphris(sp) and has been taking the risperdal the last two days but is still having issues. The most he has taken is 4 mg. Should we give him 1 1/3 reiperdal tonight and call into his Dr. in the morning? I am really concerned, he does not hav insurance and has to go the Mental Health Office in our county. Is there anything else we can do tonight to try and get his dopamine level regulated naturly tonight? Thanks Cathy Mull     What is the delay?  I need an answer for I do not want to through this again.  If he gets commited and I have to leave him again I don't think I can handle it. 
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and sorry for the delay. What dose of Risperdal was he taking before?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He was taking 3 mg but has taken a doseage as high as 4 mg. Years ago he was taking depacote too but has not had to take that in several years.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Then it should be OK to give him the extra dose for now and keep him close to you and reassure him that things are fine. Hopefully you will be able to contact his doctor soon.