Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I was placed on Metoprolol 50mg about a year ago for an irregular

I was placed on Metoprolol 50mg about a year ago for an irregular heart beat/PVC's and yesterday, a different doctor prescribed Sertraline/Zoloft 50mg for depression/anxiety symptoms (fatigue/dizziness/shakiness/anxiety). Neither the doctor or the pharmacy mentioned anything about interractions, but a program I have on my cell phone warned of significant interrations between the two (something about the Metoprolol effects being elevated, heart function, central nervous system issues, etc). Is this something I should be concerned with, or one of those things that they "have to mention" regarding interractions, but that is really nothing for me to be concerned about?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--sorry it took so long for your question to be answered. It is possible the blood level of the metoprolol will be elevated when taken with the Sertraline, but this doesn't normally cause a drop in blood pressure. I don't think you should have any problems, but talk to the doctor that prescribed the metoprolol about this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So just to confirm, these medications are often prescribed together, and interractions are not all that common? And if they do occur, they would not cause something permanent or fatal, correct? (Keeping in mind that anything is possible)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
As I said, the metoprolol level can be elevated, but that doesn't mean the blood pressure will fall. I just had to mention what you saw in the program you had. At most, if the rare event happened, your pressure might fall low enough to make you feel faint, but no permanent damage done.