Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hello, My daughter suffers from severe constipation a week

Hello, My daughter suffers from severe constipation a week or so before her period. She has seen a GI doctor with no luck. She takes numerous laxatives around this time, but doesn't want to. Her diet is rich in fiber, but nothing seems to help her. The stomach pain she experiences is extremely bad. I know she's waiting to get into another GI doctor. She is 21 and since her menstrual cycle began at 12 her period have been very irregular, like sometimes from 5 months to 30days. She also has been checked for this. After her period begins, she doesn't have constipation anymore. Any advice? Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 3 years ago.
Hello
Welcome to the Just Answer Website.
Please see below as your answer.
As women's hormone levels fluctuate each month,there occurs various symptoms & constipation is one among them.It is the progesterone hormone and to a lesser extent estrogen, that is the culprit for the symptoms you have.There is a surge of progesterone just before the onset of menstruation and the progesterone level falls when the menstrual flow starts.

Progesterone causes delayed gastrointestinal transit time, meaning that it slows down the gut and hence aggravates constipation.Also she has history of irregular periods.So I advice for your daughter to consult endocrinologist for hormonal checkup especially the progesterone levels & then treatment will be done accordingly.She may be prescribed with hormonal pills.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Regards-
Dr.Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--I'd like some more information, please. What exactly do you mean by severe constipation and what has the GI doctor said about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much for getting back to me. Jennifer takes numerous laxatives during this time and even those don't help. She did go to the emergency room with me once for it, and they gave her a drink which did eventually help. It seems that only the most potent laxatives work. Do you have any advice on which ones would work the best or natural supplements or laxatives? She had an ultrasound as well and it turned out fine. The GI PA told her nothing was wrong.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
So was any testing done at the GI's office?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, she had a throid test which came out perfect. She was tested for celiac and it was fine. I'm not sure what else she was tested for in her blood test. But, she was told it was normal. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Has she ever tried starting to take something before this happens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What would you suggest she takes that might be natural and how long should she take it before her menstrual cycle? She, the problem because she's so irregular, she doesn't know when her cycle is going to begin.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I would suggest either Miralax or probiotics along with Metamucil and mineral oil and honey a few days before her period.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice