Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

So I am very confused. My husband dentist seems to think these

Customer Question

So I am very confused. My husband dentist seems to think these sores are geographical tounge but he is going to recheck in 2 weeks. My doctor examined him today and he said it's not GT that it's a canker sore. Who is correct and why won't it go away? Is there any possibility this could be cancer related? Thr doctor said no chance http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/26baca3c.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/k
kingery83/4483e70f.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albu
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--I could only see the first image. Is this painful and how long has the tongue been like that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is not painful and it's been this way for almost 2 weeks. Hd took some antibiotics and it went away for a few faux then came back started out on top then the bottom sore formed. It does tingle or burn when he eats certain foods like tomatoes snd strawberrys. It has gotten large in the last 2 days, his doctor feels it a canker sore and the dentist suggested geographical tounge but oh only affects this same side and same place on his tongue.
Taken today
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/964ad4b0.jpg

Taken yesterday

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/403c645e.jpg

Taken 2 days ago

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/4483e70f.jpg

Taken 3 days ago when they came back

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/26baca3c.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What kind of antibiotics?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doxycilian he didn't finish it bc it upset his stomach. His doctor didn't put him on anything else today. He said to swish his mouth out with a oc antiacid.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--these do look like herpetic lesions--canker sores. Antibiotics wouldn't be effective for that--it takes an antiviral like acyclovir. Geographic tongue doesn't just suddenly occur.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long should they take to heal? Is it common gorbthem to grow then go away and recure
In the same spot???Also shouldn't he have pain with them?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
They don't always have to be painful. They can take up to two weeks to heal, but with acyclovir that happens much more quickly. And yes, they often do this--not so much recur as the virus hasn't really gone away.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks. So no chance this is the start it tongue cancer? Do they normally grow in size like the photos showed this rapidly?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That kind of cancer looks very different and starts out small and grows very slowly. Cancer also wouldn't vanish and reappear like that.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Here is a photo of my husbands tounge today. Does this seem to be healing to you? What are the red patches? Is this anythig bad? Also cancer wouldn't go away like this right?
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/991b65a1.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That looks much better and yes it is healing. No, cancer wouldn't behave like this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok what are the red splothchy patches???
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not cancer, but they may be residual lesions either healing or getting ready to erupt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The spots seem to be in the same place as thr previous lesion, is it common for them to pop up so quickly right after one another??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That still may be the healing phase. I still think he could use a course of acyclovir.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok we asked his doctor for something and he said there wasn't anything. We can ask his dentist next time he goes.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
His doctor doesn't sound like he's familiar with the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't think he is. He said it was just a canker sore.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's strange, because by definition that's herpes and he should know the treatment for that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is a new sore in the same place. The old one healed and this
Poped up the very next day. The difference here is this doesn't seem to be spreading as fast as the other times. Do you still think this is herpes?

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/4edc8b4e.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How else could he kill this virus or cause it to go dormant since his doctor wont give him the antiviral meds? Also does herpes grow and then disappear then come back? Should this sore be painful?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It looks and acts like herpes. Lemon juice, vitamin C, and apple cider vinegar may help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HOw bout olive leaf extract, vitamin b complex and lysine? Read online these vitamins could cause it to go dormant. Does herpes always recure in the same spot on the tongue like this lesion?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Those can also help. No, it doesn't always occur in the same spot.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This lesion always occurs in the bare spot of the tongue or a little below that spot.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
All I can say is I think it's herpes. The alternative is to ask for a referral to an ear, nose, and throat specialist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband went to the dentist for the second time and hd disgnosed him with geographic tongue. They took photos of the lesions a week ago and again today. The lesion on bottom has healed and on top has changed positions. He also used thf veliscope again which didn't show anything dark in the lesion which would suspect cancer. Also he said there was no need for biopsy and he could see how his dentist could get this confused with a canker sore. Do you think hd is right since he has examined him now twice. I just need a straight answer and I Want to believe this is correct. He also GT could appear suddenly one day. He himself suffers from GT also.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
GT doesn't normally act this way, but that can be a possible diagnosis. I agree this isn't cancer and doesn't need a biopsy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He just said the way it's moving and coming and going that's what it was. He took pics to document this so he could prove this. How does GT normally act?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, more that GT doesn't quite look like what you showed me, but, again, the diagnosis is possible. Usually GT doesn't persist as long as this has.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think we should agree with his diagnosis?'or see An Ent?
Also this spot changes and comes and goes weekly isn't that a symptom of GT?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
As, I said, I'm not absolutely ruling out GT. I'd still have an ENT look at this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would an Ent do? Is this anything bad? The problem is we have to haves referral and our doctor doesn't think he needs to see Ent?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
This isn't anything serious and an ENT could rule out herpes. At this point, I think just seeing if it resolves on its own is reasonable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband went to an Ent today. He seems to think this could be lichen planus more so than geographic tongue. He said either way neither one is anything serious or harmful and
With time will resolve on its own. He said there was no need for biopsy and it wasn't cancer. Do you think this could be lichen planus and should I be worried?'
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Possible diagnosis, but it would have to be confirmed with a biopsy. It only needs to be followed, but severe chronic cases do have a slight risk of becoming cancerous.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He didn't act like it was severe or needed any follow up. When he did the veliscope it didn't show any discoloration wouldn't lichen planus show up darker? I am not convinced this is it. I have had two dentist diagnose him with geographic tongue. Which do you believe this is? It changes everyday. How often does this need follow up? He also said this wouldn't turn cancerious and what I have read this is controversial the risk of malignant transformation.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
This doesn't look typical for LP to me. An inflammatory lesion would appear different with the velscope. If the study was normal, then this could be geographic tongue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The veliscope didn't show any darkness in color on the lesions. The reason
He thought it was lichen planus was due to the white borders but I don't think it looks anything like it. Do you think this is anything we need to worry about? The doctor didn't think so.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Honestly, I don't think you need to worry about this but if it continued to occur, I would get a biopsy just to make the definite diagnosis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you think a biopsy would be good just to make sure it's lichen planus or to rule out cancer?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
If this continued, I'd biopsy it just to make the diagnosis, but as I said before, cancer doesn't behave like this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband had a brush biopsy done in his tongue. The results were atypical but the dentist said there is nothing in the report thats show pre or cancer. Would geographic tongue show an atypical result on brush biopsy? Should he have an scaple biopsy done or just watch the lesion like the dentist recommends?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, but the term atypical can range from noncancerous to precancerous to cancer. While I think the report could be consistant with geographic tongue, I'd need the full report to know for sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We haven't gotten a copy of the full report. He said there was nothing in the report to suggest pre cancer or cancer. He did say somethig bout abnormal cell layering and condensed cells. What could this be?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That could be consistant with geographic tongue but, again, the terms he used to explain the report aren't what the report said exactly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok my main question is it normal for a brush biopsy to not come back as negative if the leasion is geographic tongue?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--the typical histology shows keratinization and white cell infiltration which would describe somewhat the terms you gave me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So this is a normal for the biopsy to not come back as just a negative result if the lesion is indeed geographical tongue? I guess i was expecting a positive or negative result based on if this was pre cancer or cancer. Should I be worried if the dentist is not two concerned and two other dentist have said it's geographic tongue by looking and following the lesion?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I wouldn't expect a completely normal biopsy result with geographic tongue. Nothing you've told me about the report sounds like cancer or pre cancer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is my husband brush biopsy report. Is this abnormal? Could this be pre cancer?

You replied
Wednesday, January 04, 2012 2:21 PM EST
I have the brush biopsy report. Mild atypical, atypical epithelial cells found. Abnormal keratinization, clusters and tissue fragments of hyperplastic basal cells with an increase in nuclear staining, an increasen in the nuclear toncytoplasmic ratio and nuclear crowding. Changes are possibly reactive occurring in a background of acute and chronic inflammation and blood. What does this mean? Could this be cancer?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, and it's consistent with geographic tongue. Just inflammation and cell crowding
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I looked online at the maxiofacial website they said basal cell hyperplasia was seen in dysplasia along with his other findings. So just bc henhas these findings doest mean it's dysplasia? I am really worried right now bc of these findings.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand your concern here. The only way to allieviate your worry is to have an ear nose and throat specialist take a look at him and the report, but still I don't look at this as necessarily pre cancerous.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He had a scaple biopsy done but I am not sure that it was on the same spot as the brush biopsy bc the lesions change. I guess my main concern is the wording on this biopsy report does this mean it pre cancer or would you see this description with geographic tongue as well?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I still think it just an inflammatory condition as was said in the last sentence of the report. There would have been more to the report if the pathologist thought this were pre cancerous.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The scaple biopsy came back showing inflammation consist with geographic tongue. The scaple biopsy wasn't taken in the same spot as the brush biopsy. Do you think I should be concerned with the brush biopsy results it is this the same findings you would find in inflammation with Gt?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I still don't think there's any reason for concern, but, please, I think the only way you can resolve your concern is to have an ear nose an throat specialist involved here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The ENT did the scaple biopsy are gave me the results. I just was wandering if the brush biopsy results are anything to be worried about or if all the changes occurred due to the inflammation since the scaple biopsy and brush biopsy were done in different spots on the right side of the tongue.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And what exactly did the ENT say about the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He did the biopsy and called with the results. I told him what the brush biopsy report said even though the samples where in two different areas and he said he was not concerned about the brush biopsy. My main question is with chronic inflammation will you normally see an increase in the nuclear to cytoplasmic ratio, nuclear crowding and hyperplasitic basal cells or are these findings only something seen with dysplasia?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--that's consistent with chronic inflammation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the increased nuclear to cytoplasmic ratio is not worrisome when it comes to chronic inflammation?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Exactly--but if you want a more thorough review of the pathology, have an oncologist take a look at it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are these indentions jn my husbands tongue normal? There are two of them and here only on this one side. Sometimes it's red. Is this something bad like a tumor or normal tongue anatomy?

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/5bfd6c37.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Normal anatomy for him--not cancer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What does basal cell hyperplasia mean? Is it always associated with dysplasia? I can't find anything on the web about it being associated with chronic inflammation. Is it anything
To worry about?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Let me find a link for you--hold on for a bit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Were you ever able to find that link.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16707971 Look at this first
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok so basal cell hyperplasia of the esophagus is the same as basal cell hyperplasia in the mouth? So is the inflammation affecting the basal cells causing them to reproduce faster to repair the damage?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Same type of cell and same process but the esophageal condition is from chronic reflux. But your thought is correct--inflammation stimulates the hyperplasia.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you explain this to me? Is it saying even basal cell hyperplasia can be caused by a reactive change other than cancer?

Cellular changes in dysplasia. Specific alterations of individual epithelial cells are important in the determination of epithelial dysplasia. Cells and nuclei take on a more primitive appearance, similar to those of basal cells with enlarged nuclei (nuclear hyperplasia), dark-staining nuclei (hyperchromatism), enlarged, often eosinophilic nucleoli (prominent nucleoli), and with an increased nuclear-to-cytoplasmic ratio. These cells also appear to be crowded more closely together than normal keratinocytes (increased cellular density). Such changes are not exclusive to carcinogenesis, as they may be seen in reactive epithelium or epithelium influenced by a variety of systemic alterations. Flow cytometry and image cytometry add significantly to the pathologist's ability to assess nuclear changes associated with eventual cancer development.

Basal cell hyperplasia, as discussed above, is of major importance to the diagnosis as well as to the grading of dysplasia. Other tissue changes, however, are important features of oral epithelial dysplasia, especially certain alterations of the rete processes.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Do you understand the difference between the terms hyperplasia and dysplasia?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do but everything I read says basal cell hyperplasia is one important critera in identifying dysplasia.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Dysplasia is identified by other changes, not just hyperplasia. Hyperplasia only means extra normal cells while dysplasia means actual changes in cell structure. Hyperplasia is often seen in a setting of dysplasia, but the two terms are not the same thing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So basal cell hyperplasia along with increase nuclear cytoplasmic ratio and increased staining and crowding are just changes associated with reactive cell changes from the chronic inflammation? Would a lesion with dyspladia go away so quickly and look normal? Doesn't dysplasia look red or white? I just need to know for sure that this is not dysplasia and since his tongue looks normal again if that enough to confirm?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Dysplasia might not go away but hyperplasia often does when the inflammatory reaction subsides.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But since the area healed so fast there is no way it could be dysplasia right?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's not what the report says--it only mentions hyperplasia
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know. So do you agree this is just geographic tongue and nothing more?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this normal for the tongue to be bare looking like his tongue is on the side and top?

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/e03d8005.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I still think you're over concerning yourself about all this. If I saw that tongue for the first time on an exam, I wouldn't be concerned about cancer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it look normal?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Normal is somewhat of a subjective term. I don't see anything that would worry me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the reasoning for the bare spot? Is it caused by the geographic tongue or just normal anatomy for his tongue?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What exactly are you referring to as the bare spot?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the side and top towards the back. Where you dont see the white coating like the rest of the top if his tongue.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Looks like either normal anatomy or perhaps geopgraphic tongue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are the cells in basal cells hyperplasia mature cells where as in dysplasia they are inmature?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Basal cells are just a normal type of epithelial cells and basically mature, but dysplastic cells are not immature, just different in nuclear appearance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So are the basal cells in hyperplasia different than on mild dysplasia?

Oral epithelial dysplasia is subdivided into three prognostically significant categories, mild, moderate and severe. Mild (grade I) dysplasia demonstrates proliferation of atypical or immature basal cells above the parabasal region but not extending beyond the lower third of the epithelium.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
As I said before, hyperplasia just means more than the normal number of normal basal cells. Dysplasia refers to an abnormal appearance of the cell itself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What does increase nuclear cytoplasmic ratio, unclear staining and crowding. How does all that fit into inflammation. Is that the way cells repair themselves?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Before we go any further, and I'll stick with you as I have so far for as long as you'd like, what exactly are you hoping I can tell you about all this that we haven't discussed so far?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just peace of mind that all these changes to the nucleaus are normal and common findings in chronic inflammation consistent with Gt. Also are these changes the way the cell repairs the damaged cells?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, there is a mechanism for cellular repair to a certain extent, but usually cells are damaged and just die and are replaced with new cells. Inflammation just causes more cells to be produced moreso than actually damaging the cells.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok so inflammation commonly causes hyperplasia along with some nuclear changes? I found this chart saying which changes are common in reactive lesions. I assume this would also be representive if epithelial cell

http://www.uvm.edu/~jkessler/PATH301/301neop1.htm

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The chart basically confirms his reports as reactive and not malignant changes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wish I would have found this chart sooner. I looked at his tongue today first time in a few days and on the side
Towards the top the taste buds look really red and on the tip of his tongue. He quit chewing but hr has been using the smokey moutain fake mint chew, do you think this is causing irritation? Does this look like something bad or just inflammed taste buds?

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/8e0ffa20.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just inflammed taste buds. He should try avoiding any chew for now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does this whitish grey spot behind the Gt lesion under the second and third molar a scar caused by the tongue biopsy ? It just looks like a line and the taste buds are more pale and white than normal pink. This is in the same area as the biopsy.

Biopsy site before the stitches came out

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/16d114c1.jpg

After the stitches dissolved
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/eb55c935.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Looks like the biopsy scar
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it us in the same exact spot as the biopsy? It's hard to tell from the photo! Could the area around where the stitches were be white and discolored?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It looks exactly as I would expect a biopsy site to look.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it look like the white area and the biopsy is in the sand exact spot? It's hard for me to tell bc his tongue was do swollen after the biopsy.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it does to me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it normal for the tissue to expand or stretch after the sutures dissolve?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think he needs to follow up with the ENT about this at all? Is this nessacRy?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
For now, no--only if something about the tongue changes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So will the white line remain that way for awhile.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Could do either, although I think it will disappear in time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Another doctor suggested that if it didn't fade in two weeks to get it checked out to rule out leukoplakia do you think that'd nessecary or a possibility?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Really doesn't look like that, but I can't tell you not to follow another doctor's suggestion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I made him an spot with the pa at the ENT office just to follow up.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--let me know how that goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will the PA be able to tell here the biopsy site was and the difference between scar tissue or something like leukoplakia? Or should he wait to see the ENT instead?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The ENT would be best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does this look like Gt? It's been there about a week does it seem to be moving?

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/d320056c.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--nothing really worrisome there that I see.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So definitely a Gt lesion? Does it look like it's going away? Most are gone by a
Week or so. He has an apt with his ENT Tuesday. The white line is hard to see. I am pretty sure it's a scar from the biopsy but he's going to go just to be sure bc thy area is still a little red where the biopsy was done.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What did you mean by most are gone in a week?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Most of the lesions he gets with the Gt seem to go away within a weeks time. How long
Should they last?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
They can either change in that time or they can remain for weeks--GT is variable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it look like this lesion is healing? The white is gone it's just a little red now. Is this what happens before they disappear.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/89d169aa.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--this looks almost normal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So it's normal for it to be red before it returns to normal? Also he always gets outbreaks in the same area on his tongue never anywhere else. Why is that?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Again--geographic tongue can act like this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If the brush biopsy was repeated in the same area would the results be the same even though
The lesion is gone? Or would the issue be normal even though the area looks bare if taste buds. Does it take time to return to normal or will it happen when the lesion does away?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
If the lesion isn't there I'd expect the biopsy to be normal--in general, if there is no abnormal appearance to an area just looking at it, a biopsy of that area will be normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The area looks normal except for it's more bare when it comes to the taste buds. Would thus affect the biopsy findings? The way the ENT explained the findings were the cells where trying to repair themselves so I would just assume if the lesions gone the findings would be normal.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Without any inflammatory evidence on inspection--no redness or lumpiness--the biopsy shouldn't show any inflammatory response.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since these are reactive cell changes the lesion would need to be present for the cell changes to be seen correct. Why is the area there more bare of tastebuds? Also the brush biopsy test the cells only on the lesion correct?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--let's regroup here for a minute, since we seem to be retracing our steps and going over the same ground again and again. I've told you I see no reason to believe this is cancer or pre cancer. Is there something more specific that I can help you with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A doctor said just bc the lesion is gone the biopsy finding would still be the same. That confuses me bc the ent said thoses findings were bc the lesion and the cells were repairing themselves. I am confused as to why the findings would be the same when the lesion is now gone? Also my husband saw the ENT Yesterday and he said that the white was part of the healing process.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--if healing is still going on as with that one area, then I wouldn't call it looking exactly normal yet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where the biopsy was done and the brush biopsy are different spots the brush biopsy
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--what would allieviate your worry here--a second opinion from, say, a dermatologist or an oncologist?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't need another opinion if you think the cell changes are reactive and that the cells would be normal now that the lesion is gone. Do you agree with the ENT that these changes were just repairing cells from the Gt lesion? Do you think he needs another opinion or I should worry if the ENT is not concerned and the lesions are obviously Gt siince they come and go?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I think the ENT is correct in his assessment and that this is GT.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think s second opinion is needed or were you just recommending that to help
Me stop worrying? Also why is his tongue more bare of taste buds in this spot ? Is this normal
For him?

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/9abdb187.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I honestly don't see anything worrisome there. And, yes, I recommended the second opinion just to quell your fears.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this white spot on the side of my husbands tongue a inflammed taste bud? It poped up today and is a little painful.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/329268b6.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/6758ecf4.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, I don't think so. Looks more like what we've seen before
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's on the other side of his tongue where he has never had a break out. Also it sticks out a bit and is painful. Why don't you think it's a taste bud?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just doesn't look like that to me, but I'm limited in having only photos to look at.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It moves around and is painful could it be a taste buds where it's at on the tongue?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Possibly, but GT involves both taste buds and other parts of the tongue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband has these little red circles that look like taste buds on the back and side of his tongue. Are these taste buds ? I am not sure how long it's been this way and it's not really raised or sore.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/e504e564.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not taste buds--wrong area--but normal tissue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are there not taste buds on the lateral border of the tongue? Why is it red?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You initially said back side of tongue. The lateral border does show taste buds but that area looks normal to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I an sorry not the back side of his tongue but all the way towards the back of his tongue about half way down on the side where it's white taste buds then there 5 or 6 little red circles. There is a line of saliva right behind that area.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I honestly don't see anything abnormal anywhere.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So these could just be taste buds bc there are taste buds located in this area?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes to both
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yesterday it seemed like the white area was almost gone but today it's back. Is this normal for a taste bud that's healing? It's no lOnger painful or raised just flat white circle spot.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/bb980fa4.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You mean that small white spot?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not a taste bud and looks like an area that was inflamed and is now healing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So maybe a canker sore that is healing? How long will the white last and is there any way this could be leukoplakia?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Leukoplakia--and it doesn't look like that--wouldn't disappear for weeks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This hasn't disappeared for weeks it was a white painful bump wednesday then the pain went away the next day and now it's just a flat white unpainful spot. It's been there for 4 days. That's why I am thinking inflammed taste bud. So this doesn't look like leukoplakia at all?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No it doesn't.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me this bump on the very far lower part of his tongue at the very back is this normal tissue? I just noticed it looks more raised.
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/d9f7de70.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No--looks normal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So it'd normal to have bumped up areas like this? I am not sure if the other side is this way does that make a difference?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--all that area looks normal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is the other side does it look similar ? It is red from Gt but does the side structure Look the same?

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/04ae5004.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not exactly the same but I don't expect symmetry in the tongue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So it's completely normal for one side Of the tongue to be bumpier than the other? What would a tongue tumor look like?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes-- normal. As for a tongue tumor--he's had more than one doctor look at his tongue--they must have agreed with my evaluation that there's no cancer evident on inspection
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I agree I just don't know how clOsley they have looked that far back or On that side of his tongue. I am sure they wouldn't have missed anything bc they know what there looking for right?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Exactly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me if these red splotches on his soft plate are normal and so what are they. I know it has been like this for a few months but I don't think they have always been this red. Is this somethin worrisome that he would need to see the dentist for?

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/70bf2842.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Looks like a normal soft palate to me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the Red splotches are not cause fir concern? One doctor said it was mild inflammation. Could that be possible? He has had it for awhile but it's not always this red.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Inflammation is a word that seems to cause you undue worry. The palate looks normal to me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi
There is a small white triangle shape spit in the middle of his tongue right below the top front tooth. What could be the cause for this white area or is this normal? I know it been there for at least a week and half. Could it be leukoplakia ? How long before it will be normal again? For some reason every white Spot I see I assume leukoplakia.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/711fbb4c.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I don't see anything that looks like leukoplakia. Let me ask--since you and I have talked about this so often--why do you continue to look at his tongue so often? It obviously upsets you whenever you see something you think may be abnormal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure why I do this. I don't want tonkiok bc it causes me anxiety but I also get anxiety when I dont look so I really lose either way I guess.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand--I guess what I'm getting at--and please don't take this the wrong way--is that this seems to be an obsessive/compulsive issue for you. Is this the only area in your life where you continue to obsess over something? And I'm also just curious--isn't your husband getting tired of your asking to look at his tongue and take a picture of it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is obsessive. I dont have and other things I obsessive over. It all started a year ago when he dentist told hi
He neede to quit chewing bc he had a lesion where bengals his chew on his cheek. He made such a huge deal about oral cancer that it really worried me and stated this while phobia of mouth cancer. Every little thing I see freaks me out. I have tied anti depressants and therapy for this and I still can't seem to kick the anxiety. Anxiety does run in my family but it seems Like when it comes to health issues is when it really goes nuts. Every day i promise my husband i won't look anymore but I can't help it. Hd
Is getting very Annoyed with me and has threatened to start chewing again if i don't stop. I don't know what else to do but this obsession is making my life miserable. What can i do to stop this that I haven't already done?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What type of therapy have you had?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see a therapist just for the anxiety. I am not sure what type it is exactly.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Tell me a bit about what goes on in the sessions, and is this a PhD psychologist?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She just ask me how often I worries about his mouths and what I saw and how many times I gelt like I needed to look. Then she explains that there is no need to look bc anything that remains less than 2 weeks is not dangerous. We have tried relaxation an meditation and this machine thateasyres my anxiety levels. She has a masters in therapy and specializes in anxiety disorders.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Doesn't sound like what I would call specific effect therapy techniques for anxiety and OCD disorders--is that all she does?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pretty much should I find someone else? What techniques are used for anxiety?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Ever heard of cognitive behavioral therapy or rational emotive therapy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No but I will ask her Monday to try these.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Take a look at this http://counsellingresource.com/lib/therapy/types/rational-emotive/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The side of his tongue looks red and bumpy. I know it's looked like this for a long time. Is the redness from the biopsy it lingual tonsils or just normal?

Before biopsy

After biopsy
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/871f7f16.jpg

Few weeks ago
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/eb55c935-1.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I still see nothing worrisome in any of those.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They just look a little redder and bumpy is this what lingual tonsils look like? I think the biopsy. May have just inflammed the tissue .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Again--the problem here is you aren't a physician and you're trying to diagnosis on your own. I don't see anything that worries me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this white and red spot on the back side of his tongue the start of A gt lesion? It has doubled in size Overnight. It just doesn't look like they normally do starting out.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/2cb8f67f.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Looks like a little inflammation, that's all, but, seriously you really should stop looking at his tongue and let him do that if he feels like it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know I M trying. So inflammation from gt?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was just curious bc normally they start as a red spot wih white outline
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Please don't take this the wrong way but you've got to stop playing doctor and leave your husband's tongue alone. It isn't your responsibility..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know you told me to stop looking at his mouth and I have for a week. He has been eating jolly ranchers like. Easy and now his cheek looks all red and cut up which I know is from the candy. Yesterday there was. Layer of wrinkled dead skin but that peeled off today.my concern is when you look at his finger where he is holding his. Jerk open the tissue looks paler and white there. Is this normal or abnormal? Is this just caused from the pressure of holding his mouth open?

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/fa3505ef.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/e5950cfa.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Still looks pretty normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The paler grey white area is nothing of concern at All?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'd tell you if I saw otherwise--word of honor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi
My husband has had this white thick looking stuff on the top of his tongue in the middle towards the back for awhile now maybe a month or longer. It looks like the papilla are very long and when he brushes them they move back and forth but do not scrape off. It doesn't look like geographic tongue at all. It's hasn't changed. I thought it was thrush but now it looks like the pics o hairy tongue but white. You can see each individual papilla and they move. Could this be anything more serious like leukoplakia?

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/0b5782f9.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/9124cbdc.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Those just now cropped up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it's been there for a month or so and not painful at all.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Doesn't look at all like leudoplakia.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think this could be white hairy tongue? I thoughaybe thrush but it doesn't scrape off at all and you can see each individual papilla and they move back and forth.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Could be but that isn't a serious condition.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband has had issues since he stopped using the chanticleer a few weeks ago to stop using the snus. He started using the chantix at the beginning of the year and came off of it a few weeks ago. He has very tired and depressed since he has been on and now coming off the chantix. He craved nicotine even after coming off the chantix and I was very worried he was going to go back to his old habit so I bought him some nicotine gum. He didn't like the gum but is hooked on the nicotine. He said he had to have it to function. He decided to buy a nicotine electronic cig. The ingdrediants include nicotine, vegetable glycrin and flavoring. My question is is nicotine through gun or an e cig bad for him? Will the nicotine by itself cause any damages to the tissue in his mouth where he previously ha hyperplastic tissue or with the geographic tongue?also I have been doing much better. I haven't looked at his mouth for almost a month.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No--it's the other things in cigarette smoke that can damage the oral mucosa or the tongue and potentially cause cancer--not from an electronic cigarette or the gum.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I read an article about nicotine potentially causing damaged tissue to become cancer or for cancer already existing to speed up and spread more quickly. Is there any truth to this or is nicotine by itself not are carcinogen?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No--there is no study that conclusively shows nicotine to be a carcinogen itself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So nicotine will not damage already damaged tissue for instance hyperplastic epthelial tissue or cause it to become precancerous or cancerious?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No but it could potentially slow healing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok so slowing healing would be the worse case senerio?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Before he bought the e cig he smoked about 3 packs of cogs over a few weeks time. Will this small amount of smoking cause any further damage or cell changes inside his mouth? He had stopped now and is just using the e cig. Would you recommend the e cig for someone who is so dependet on nicotine? He is very moody and depressed without it even after quitting for moths with no nicotine.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I don't think the short return to cigarettes caused any harm. The e cig is better than regular cigarettes but he still runs the risk of heart disease from any nicotine use.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok so nicotine is not a carcinogens? This small amount of smoking will not cause any harm? Would it take years of continued smokin to cause pre cancer cell changes not just a few packs?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes it takes at least a few years of constant smoking to cause those problems and I'll say in again--nicotine is not a direct carcinogen--it does not on its own cause cancer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the 15 years of chewing cause only the hyperplasia so t would ale at least a few more years of constant smoking on top of that time to cause the hyperplasia to change to pre cancer correct?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You're really complicating things here--the bottom line is simply that he shouldn't smoke and if he continues, yes there's a risk of oral cancer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do understand that and that it what I am trying to get across to him but he is very stubborn that's why I am pushing the e cig but he seems to think that all I am trying to do is control him. It's a lose lose situation for me. I just need to know that if he stops now and just uses the e cigs that he would have not done damage by this short term of smoking. I just need to know for my sake that it takes years of every day smoking to cause these changes.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it does take years of smoking to cause the changes. And if he quits now and stays away from any nicotine by mouth or by smoking, any damage already done will repair itself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One more question. How long on average does it take for hyperplastic tissue to return to normal? Also would the velescope show changes such as hyperplastic tissue in His mouth? his last check up a month ago with the velescope was normal.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
We've gone over this before several times. As for the return to normal--several months. You seem to be doing better by not checking his mouth so often but at this point you really need to focus on treating your obsessive/compulsive disorder.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am still going to counseling and I have had a traumatic event tht happened to me which has made me focus on myself and not him. I am 6 months pregnant and fell off a ladder getting into our attic. I feel 9 foot onto concrete and broke 3 bones in my foot. I hacent looked at his mouth since that day and it's been 4 weeks today.

As for the velescope would that show if there was still hyperplasia present in his mouth?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it would.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi
I just had one question for you. My husband started using Swedish snus pouches again just a few days ago. He only chews 3 a day and his cheek is turning a brown color is this normal staining to the tobacco or something to be concerned with? The staining doesn't seen to go away very much even when he moves the chew around.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/8c1bf672.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's likely the tobacco. If he stops for a while, it should clear.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it normal for the tobacco to stain the inside of the cheek like this and so fast bc like I said he only has used it for a few days at the very most. It looked normal before he started again.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--that's normal--nothing else would turn the cheek brown that fast.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi
My husband went to the dentist for a check up with the velescope yesterday. Everything looked normal under the light but the hygentist made the comment that she could tell where he has been chewing. He has been using the pouches and only for s little over a week so is it possible for her to see irritation so soon? Is this anything serious since the velescope was normal.? Of is this just bc his mouth is not use to thd tobacco?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Nothing serious at all and still more of a tobacco staining than a medical condition.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok bc there is a small spot that is whiter than the surrounding tissue and a little wrinkled where he has been putting the tobacco sometimes. He is moving it around and using the pouches. It's not really stained like the other spot was. Is this normal to show this type of change after only one week? Is this just the mouth way of not being use to the tobacco. I know it can't be something serious yet bc the velescope didnt show anything but I am kind of concerned that there is anything there only after one week.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Again--perfectly normal and to be expected--nothing serious.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok now his cheek looks like it has lines like three on it. He started using the Swedish snus last night bc it finally came in the mail. Are these lines causes by the Swedish snus and the salt content? They were not there prior to the use of the snus yesterday. It doesn't really look wrinkles almost just like an imprint of lines on the linnet lining of his cheek. Do you think this is harmless? Nothing serious would change like this over night right?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That more likely is the result of a chewing like maneuver with the tobacco product. If you want to see whether it is all from the product, have him not use it or anything like it for a week. Bottom line here--he really should give up the oral tobacco use.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I agree with you on giving it up but I know he will not so that is why he went to the Swedish snus bc it has the lowest tnsa of all oral tobacco. This snus on a thick like on one side of the pouch that why I am I thinking it is an imprint from the pouch sitting again his cheek it doesn't look thick just lines. I also think its the snus bc it wasn't there yesterday. I guess my main concern is something dangerous will not look like lines and show ip overnight correct? I tried to take a pic but I couldn't get a decent one. I will post what pic I could get.

You can faintly see the lines

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/6f7fdd6c.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, nothing like that could show up overnight other than a result of the product. And the photo doesn't show anything pathologic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was able to get a decent picture. It towards the front of the photo 4 evanly spaces lines that just appeared. He hasn't been using tobacco on that side but it's still there. Does this look like a result of the snus would anythig dangerous look like this? Is it concerning at all if it remains this way?

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/5f932337.jpg

4 lines and kind blue or purple looking
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Nothing dangerous and looks like a combination of the snus and a chewing action,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so if they remain nothing to be concerned with? It's just very odd to me how equally spaced these lines are almost like an imprint.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I think they are an imprint and again, nothing to worry about.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It look like an imprint but there is nothing on the snus that look like that could it just be wrinkleing from the snus?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I looked at the floor of his mouth today which I have never done before and I noticed on the left side there is about a inch of flesh colored tissue that moves back and forth but it doesn't look the same on the other side. It's on the left side and moves around but not really on the right. Is this just normal anatomy?

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/2f66d8e0.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--that's all normal anatomy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so it normal to have it on one side but not the other? Cancer wouldn't move back and forth either right?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Normal and yes cancer wouldn't do that