Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

RASTs allergy test results concerning level 1 and 2 results

I had a question concerning RASTs allergy test results concerning level 1 and 2 results for some food groups. How accurate are the levels and are they accurate predictors of how likely or severe an allergic reaction may be? Are levels 1 and 2 still dangerous or do you not have to worry until you get to around 4 and 5. Should I avoid these foods? Thanks. Here are links to the tests. Edited by moderator
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--have you actually had the test, and, if so, why?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had an outbreak of hives 2 months ago and had this as a follow up testing. These are my results. I stll get pink itchy patches 2-4 hours after eating even now , but nothing like the origional outbreak in severity, whats was moderate full body outbreak.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
What were the exact results of the test?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Were u able to see the posts above? I linked to the paperwork. But i had a few groups that cane back level 1 and 2
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry--try again. Nothing came up on this page.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I see the moderator removed the links:

http://imageshack.us/f/221/allergy1.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/196/allergy2.jpg/

Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Got it. Actually the results don't necessarily mean that those foods will cause an allergic reaction. Just because some are reported as positive only means there is an immune response to them but they can be positive in someone who hasn't had any symptoms relative to an allergic reaction. So, basically, there isn't any danger for you to eat those foods.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
really? Thank so much, I seem to get different opinions on this, so I have asked a few doctors. Do you see on the first page where he says to avoid all those foods, do you think that would be an over reation then? How should I use these results, and what should I take from them?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
It would be just covering his backside to tell you to avoid those foods, or perhaps he felt the hives were from those foods. Easy enough to test--abstain from those foods and then try one or two and see if the hives return.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
but all in all, not dangerious in your mind, no need to worry about anaphalsic shock type of a reaction. Are a dangerious sign? I have been obstaining from them for the most part, and i still get these small, itchy patches, and itchy skin in general, but nothing like the origional reaction. Thanks for looking.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
The hives may not even be related to the foods, especially since they only just started and should have begun when you were much younger. That said, please don't use my answer here to go against your doctor's directions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Understood, in my follow up with him, he thought i could eat most of the foods safely accept for tree nuts. I just wanted another opinion as i have recieved conflicting ones and wasnt sure what to understand. so just curious, what would my tests have to have shown to be a serious concern? How high would somone with a serious allergy have for results. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
At least 4 or 5, but, even then, that wouldn't necessarily mean that that person would have anaphylactic shock.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do u know if its true that soy and wheat do not generally caude anaphalactic shock even with severe allergies and more likely cause digestuve issues? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Very much so. If that were not the case, we'd be hearing a lot more about anaphylactic shock and death from people that hadn't been careful enough to avoid those.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is numb gums a sign of allergic reaction? Is it true that serious allergic reactions occur quickly and are not subtle? are hives dangerious in general?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Numb gums would be a very unusual symptom. Serious reactions are anything but subtle and usually occur within an hour of exposure to the allergen. Hives in and of themselves are not dangerous and usually are as far as an allergic reaction will go in most people.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How rare is life threatoning allergies and reactions?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
What exactly do you mean by rare?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hmm that is a Reletive and subjective question your right. do u deal with these kinds of tests and alergies cases often in your practice? Thanks for all this time and info.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Fairly often, yes. The anaphylactic reaction doesn't happen very often, so you could refer to it as rare.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I feel better about the level 1 and 2, mild and moderate, results on the allergy testing. Thank u very much. So u really think its not a real worry until u hit 4 and 5. would a level 1 or 2 ever have a serious reaction. I may still cut many of these foods out of my diet, or cut the amounts down. Ive loat weight eating "clean" and worrying about my meals. So one last question, why do they have the 5 levels if u dont have to worry till level 4 or 5? Just curious.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
The levels are just measures of the IgE antibodies specifically directed at the antigen and are not really predictors of a reaction. In general, patients with a higher level have already had a significant allergic reaction. Your levels quite likely will never get any higher.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your patience. So couple last questions, i promise. is it true that my small pink itchy patches are normal after a hive outbreak and this could last a few more weeks. The doctor mentioned this but i wanted to check. Im still getting itchy patches or a general feeling of itchy skin off and on 8 weeks now after the outbreak. Nothing like the origional outbreak, but still was not sure that is normal get even minor patches. And lastly, can eating or not eating a food a lot cause you to develope an allergy. For instance, does avoiding wheat untrain your body to process wheat or eating too much overload the body? How many people do u think have numbers like mine for these foods but dont even know it? Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
You can't eat your way into an allergy. The allergy itself has nothing to do with the GI processing of the wheat. And like I said before, elevated IgE's don't necessarily indicate a particular allergy.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ah ok thanks. Can u speak briefly about the other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I can, but can you make them a bit more specific?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sure, i guess the results. How commin do u think those kinds of numbers are and are there many people walking around with similar numbers for these foods but dont know it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes there are probably many people that would be surprised if they took the test and had results like yours because they may never have had hives or an allergic reaction in their life. Like I said, the test is somewhat nonspecific and doesn't have to mean there's an allergic component involved.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks. And just to address the last part. In your view is it normal to still being getting pink, itchy areas that spring up and last an hour or so 1-3 hours after eating sometimes. is this common after a hives outbreak in ur opinion.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Usually one has an episode of hives and it goes away and that's it. You have chronic urticaria and quite often a distinct cause is never found.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok sorry i have to ask. What is a standard treatment for that and how serious is it? Last one for real.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
It can be difficult. Often it just stops eventually, but antihistamines, oral prednisone, Singulair, and Zantac are standard treatments.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it ever dangerious? They gave me that after that initial outbreak. I hated the oral steroid, i had side fx.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, it's not dangerous, just very uncomfortable
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for all your time and patience. I hope i csn put all this behind me eventually.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure, but keep me posted please
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice