Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

This time is cornea transplant. When very young, I dont remember,

Customer Question

This time is cornea transplant. When very young, I dont remember, my mother narrated that I had eye desease, sounds like trachoma, in my left eye. I have been advised, or wish to do the transplant. a few doctors advised not to do it as there will not be any improvement in my sight. They put it down to lasy eye syndrom. I do see with the left eye but barely 6/60. what do you think, shall I go ahead with it or be satisfied with what I have. The right eye is 6/12. I am 70. I need better vision in the left eye to pass driving eye test
thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  MikeC PA-C replied 5 years ago.

MikeC PA-C :

Hello, how are you

Can you view this response?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Dr

Good day.

I am sorry, I still cant find your response to my question on the cornea issue, nor could I find your qestions to answer, as you you require more info.

best regards

Aziz Noor

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay and the confusion. Is it only your cornea that's causing the vision problem?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Doctor

Good day, I am sorry, the answer is not satisfying. I know it is my cornra that is causing the vision. my question was, would a cornea transplant regain or imporove vision? how can I accept to undergo the operation without any hope of improvement. that is why I am seeking help and info from experts in rhe field?

many thanks and regatds

Aziz Noor

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, too because that wasn't my answer, just a request for more information. The transplant, I think, would improve your vision. I can't say how much because if the problem is only the cornea, that should clear your vision nicely. However, if some of your vision problem is not from the cornea, that part of the problem would remain.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes Doctor, my mistake. I am sorry. Cornea scar is the problem. The lazy eye question comes in. How can I be sure lazy eye sydrom will not make the transplant operatsion useless in term of getting back my good vision.

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Well, to answer that I would have to know more about what the doctors have told you about the problem with the lazy eye.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks. I was tested with two different equipment supposed to measure immages reaching the retina beyond the scar of the cornea. one dr said there will be improvement of at least 80% very encouraging the other said there will not be any improvement due to the fact the injury happened perhaps, before age of 7, which means the eye stopped development fully. and as a result the eye will not be able to recognize more than what it is recognising behind the scar, meaning removal of the scar and keeping it do not make any difference.

That is the confusion I am in. and trying to seek your help as where to go. Is the concept of lazy eye factor?

many thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. I agree with the first doctor that said your vision would have significant improvement. I don't see how a good evaluation of the retina can be made through a scarred cornea.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Welcome