Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

can aspergers syndrome combined with alcoholism cause me to

Customer Question

can aspergers syndrome combined with alcoholism cause me to undereat and can can AS alone cause this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Do you feel sad, hopeless, or anxious all the time?
Have you received treatment for alcohol abuse/dependence?
Do you have low appetite lately?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Olsen,

Yes to all questions. I am also trying to go to school/college for a degree and I plunged into this cycle of not wanting to eat, wishing I was dead, having night-time anxiety and feelings of guilt for not being responsible to my obligations and disapointing people.

People have been thinking I'm gay all my adult life it seems. My mother was highly stressed during pregnancy with me. I also fit other characters of AS. I am going to find help for it soon.... I only found out that I fit the profile. I live my life alone and fail continually in social situations. I am trying to quit drinking and been having DT's all week. But I just about got that worked out and I can still finish out the semester.... with a grade down than I should have had.

-Mark

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--very important question here--tell me about your drinking and what you've done to stop.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thus far I have only reduced it. considering that I was nearly drinking a quart of vodka a day this past week, starting early in the morning sometimes and I was able to hold off untill about 5:30 CST and only bought a pint and haven't finished it off. Also, I've been nibbling all day, taking vitamins and I just ate a can of tuna.

the symptoms get worse as the day goes and also it's hard to sleep much, so my day starts around noon when I can finally find the strength to get out of bed. today has been good. I eaten more today than in the last two and I was able to open up my cupboard and pick something out.... other than that, I was just eating pieces of a polska kielbasa sausage and a few milk duds.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--so what if I told you that until and unless you successfully deal with the alcohol, the rest of your concerns will never be properly addressed and dealt with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

told?

must be a typo.... "tell" is the proper tense.

Ok, that much is known to me allready and that is why I am trying to stop without checking into a hospital, as I have to finish out the semester to at least get a passing grade. My instructer has seen me show up in pretty bad shape and I was able to peddle my bike for 2km undergoing withdrawl/starving symptoms.

But my question was, Does AS include undereating problems? If so, we can easily assume that alchohol abuse would make it worse.

what happened to Dr. Olsen?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Have you actually been diagnosed with AS? And how long have you been having the eating problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had trouble with eating enough since I was 13.

I am concerned that I may have AS because I have found that I carry the symptoms and plan to seek a diagnosis and am trying to become informed.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand, but I'm a bit uncertain as to where to direct the conversation. Is it more that you're trying to determine whether you have AS?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am just wondering if appetite problems have been associated with AS.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, the simple answer is yes, but whether it's from the cognitive and emotional aspect or from the often associated GI problems with AS would have to be determined.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I wasn't drinking when I was 13 but I did start smoking pot.... my mother brought me to a doctor to find out why I was underwieght.

So one may be able to suspect that my eating problem could have been a side effect of AS.... or, my eating problem may have caused problems symptomatic of AS.....

Interesting problem.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is. Let me ask you this--in your research what have you found that leads you to suspect you have AS?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

mother in stress during pregnancy

sexual curiosity at an early age..... seeking intamacy with adults

overly romantic

poor social interaction

good IQ

overly honest

try's to take over conversations

can't recognize comminicative body language during conversations

poor eye contact -too challenging for me most of my life

acts girlish but is not gay

cannot initiate proper relationships... overly shy

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like you have a good handle on the diagnosis. Is there any more I can add?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So is anerexic like behavior associated with AS or not.... it started after my parents divorce when I was 10 or is something like this part of the nervous-stress part associated with AS?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, just because someone has AS doesn't mean they can't have other problems like anorexia and bulimia. That said, right now it doesn't sound like you are particularly anorectic now--I think that has much more to do with the alcohol intake.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

....and some of the related emotional stress I have been having lately....

well, it took awhile but I can see that I have to get with someone in person who can help keep me on an even keel....

since I had to do some of the work here..... I'll pay you but with a 20% discount, if you don't mind. OK?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I think the alcohol needs to be dealt with first. No use trying to work on other potential psychological problems until that's resolved.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm working on it. But the withdrawal symptoms are hard. I can perform a bit better with a pint in me than not sometimes.

Thanks for hanging in there..... I managed to dominate the conversation a bit.... sorry about that.

Well, I will move on and I leave you with this advice; that is, consider becoming a certified Health Coach..... your good at helping people help themselves, but don't be lazy about it. I realize that impromptu research ain't easy.... but I also understand you thought I was drunk off my ass or something.

I need to go to bed as I have to wake up in 7 hours (God Willing). If you want to send me an answer then go ahead and email me at XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX .

thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No problem with your domination of the conversation, but, when you have the time, please come back here because I have a lot to tell you about drinking problems. You didn't sound drunk to me, by the way.